Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 8610 (A909)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It seems wrong to be asking this question here but since it is a community, I am hoping I will get an answer.

I have an Officejet 8610, A909 series.

I just turned it on after a while and I remembered why I had it off: I could not get it to connect to my computer. My computer sees the fax aspect but not the printer. Why? Because I have a 3rd party black cartridge.

I can't even run the firmware upgrade which is supposed to (I think) remove the non-HP restriction.

I have Googled and YouTubed it ... but they keep referring to the firmware update. I know there was a way in the past to get it to bypass. But I can't get anything on the HP's screen because of the incompatible cartridge. Living in Mexico, you do what you have to do.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @PapaMarkie

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Connecting the printer to the computer has nothing to do with the type of ink cartridges used. You may refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems. HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges.

• Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. So, the PC should be on the 2.4GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

Restart the network devices

1. Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer/ mobile devices.
  2. Wait for 60 seconds.
  3. Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.
  4. Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.
  5. Turn on the computer/ mobile devices.

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar,

Thanks so much. I am using a wired network connection. The computer sees the fax aspect of the machine but not the printer.

I can't get a screen on the printer to click okay or show anything other than incompatible cartridge.

Because of Windows Update 1903, I had to do a system reset and re-install everything (I couldn't rollback because I had made significant changes already). While doing that, I have unplugged everything and started from scratch. But going back to the fact that it sees the fax and not the printer is why I thought it might be because of the cartridges.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

HP Recommended

@PapaMarkie

Thank you, merry Christmas to you too.

In this case, we will have to resolve the ink cartridge error first as it is a hardware issue. Kindly perform steps 2 and 3 mentioned in this document. Unless you are able to bypass this error, you will not be able to print from your PC.

Also, run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.