BARB-OES
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OFFICEJET 4650 will not print single sided

Officejet 4650
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

This printer has been marvelous but it has suddenly started printing everything 2 sided and I cannot seem to get it to stop! I do not need 2-sided printing and I am ready to just throw in the towel and buy a new printer. Not sure if it is a disconnect between the printer and my Mac or what. I have double checked that my printer software is current.

I need help!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,398 12,377 817 811
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@BARB-OES

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

Let's start by updating the Firmware from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-4650-all-in-one-printer-series/5447930... and then try these steps if the issue persists

1. Go to the Apple and choose System Preferences.
  2. Click Print & Fax.
  3. On the left, select the printer you wish to use.
  4. Click Options & Supplies
  5. A new window will appear, it may look different depending on your operating system version:
    • Across the top it will say General | Driver | Supply Levels. Select Driver.
    • At the top there will be a drop down menu, select from it Installable Options.
  6.  Uncheck the box for "Duplex Unit".
  7. Close this window and the Print & Fax window.

If you want to easily switch between single-sided and double-sided printing, you can create a preset for single sided printing and this would be useful

1. Go to File and choose Print
  2. There will be a drop-down menu that will have an option for Layout. Select Layout.
  3. You will then get more options, including one for Two-Sided. Select "Long-edge binding"
  4. Towards the top, you will see a drop down menu for "Presets". Select "Save As" and name it "Double-Sided".
  5. Now change the Two-Sided to "Off" and save the Preset as "Single-Sided".
  6. When you want to print single-sided, go to the Presets menu and choose "single-sided" instead.

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
BARB-OES
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestion... I am currently running macOS High Sierra (10.13.6).

When I go into my preferences for the printer, there is no option to do anything with the drivers. Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 6.48.58 AM.png

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,398 12,377 817 811
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@BARB-OES

Thanks for keeping me posted

Let's try these steps

Please ensure the MAC OS is up to date. You can refer to this Link: https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201541

If the issue persists, we will Remove and Re-Add the printer to the Mac Queue using Airprint

1. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

Figure : Example of the Printers & Scanners window

Example of the Printers & Scanners window
  2. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, and then do one of the following steps.

• If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is set up for AirPrint. Click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer, click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.

3. Confirm AirPrint or Secure AirPrint displays in the Use or Print Using menu, and then click Add.

Figure : AirPrint displays in the Use menu

Select AirPrint from the Use menu
  4. Try printing single sided and let me know how it goes

Thank you 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
captain-phi
2 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried all these useful tips on my MacBook Pro running MacOS Catalina (10.15.1) and I can't print single-sided. What frustrates me the most is that I was able to do so exactly a year ago from the same laptop to the exact same printer. The only variable that changed since is various updates of the OS, the major one being to Catalina when it came out.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation