Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I just recently brought a HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 and am having issues with the printhead. 

I followed through on the directions to fix it; clean the printhead as directed, make sure I am using the correct ink cartridge, replaced the ink cartridge (3 times), replace the printhead, remove any and all debris in the print area.

Is there anything else that I can do to get my printer working again?  I've only had this printer since July of 2016.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

HI, I am having this exact same problem, (twice now) I had the printhead replaced, now the new printhead will no print correctly.. streaks and it won't align....

HP Recommended

Mahalo nui for the heads up!

HP Recommended

I had the exact same issue and went through all the troubleshooting plus some.  Luckily, my unit was only 3 months old and I was still under warranty.  They are sending me a new print head and new cartridges.  I also picked up the extended warranty for three years just in case it happens again. 

HP Recommended

It is interesting that the rep (Mary) kept telling me this was a top of the line printer and she was surprised I was using it mostly for home use (I telecommute one day a week, so it is 6 personal, 1 business day).  I would not think a $179 printer was top of the line.  However, it's a good printer and we'll see if there are further issues after the new print head arrives.  It will take a week to get her by Fed Ex ground as I didn't want to pay $17 for expedited shipping. 

HP Recommended

I have had HP printers for some time.  My 6700 started displaying the same printhead missing error.  I went through the steps to fix, it worked for another week and started the same error.  SO,,, I bought the new 8720.  Started setting it up and guess what error it displayed.  Yep,,, printhead missing.....  I can't even finish setting it up.  went through the steps to no avail, and now it looks like I am returning it.  Seems HP is falling off my favorite list. 

HP Recommended

Have been away for several weeks.  Was able to print one page before being told to replace the Magenta Ink Cartridge.  After that I continually get "Cartridge Problem.  One or more of the  Cartridge s are missing or damaged.

I replaced all off them and still get same error.

At Best Buy I was told to run "clean print heads".  How do I do that?

HP Recommended

My HP Officejet 6700 Premium was only a little over 3 years old when the printhead died, and a printhead replacement was more expensive than a new printer and extremely complicated to replace.  I bought a cleaner kit for the printhead, but it didn't correct the problem.  I bought an HP Officejet 9018 with an ink subscription.  In just a tad over 30 days, I realized the touchscreen didn't respond to touch, and I couldn't make copies.  HP service sent me a refurbished 9015 reassuring me that it would be in good condition because the tech would've check out all functions.  During initial setup of the refurbished replacement, it failed to set up and was in permanent paper jam mode.  For nearly 2 weeks, I've been without a printer because I was required to mail the original printer back while I have been waiting for the replacement of the replacement to arrive.  I think the quality and operation of their printers have deteriorated and their performance is poor.  I am also unhappy with changing my original model 9018 to a 9015 without telling me.  The warranty seems to be very prickly.  HP is trying its best to make me sorry I bought their brand.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.