Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Inkjet 9010 multi-function
macOS 10.15 Catalina

We recently added an inkjet 9010 multi-function printer to the network using only the wired ethernet port. My router is now showing second MAC address coming from that printer's port, 00:0e:c6:8f:9b:61 (android-a4a5e375a9e348c6) , asking for an ip and then going away and coming back about every minute. The printer itself is also showing up at the router and it stays connected and has a HP associated MAC address.

Anyone else seen this or know what this second device is for?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

It could be one MAC wi-fi and one MAC wi-fi direct ( can't be seen by a router)

turn wi-fi direct OFF to see what happens with 2nd MAC

Screenshot from 2020-03-28 17:04:14.png

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks. I had already disabled wi-fi direct.

Also, the router is indicating that this mac is coming thru the wired ethernet port that the printer is connected thru.

Andy

HP Recommended

Try to disable automatic update on the printer, that is the last thing that makes any sense for me.

Screenshot from 2020-03-28 18:13:23.png

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I had a bit time to research this for you this weekend.

The entire idea of a MAC address is that every device would have a unique HW ID on the network.  The vast majority of the time a device should only present 1 MAC address to the world.  There are exceptions but according to the product team the printer will only have 1.

Every MAC address is specific to the vendor of the product.  The MAC address you mention is not from HP.  HP has its own identifier.

A quick search online shows that the MAC address you shared is from a Vendor called Asix that supplies networking chipsets.

Are you sure the MAC is coming from the printer?  I have seen the android-xxxxxxxxxxx naming come from Smart Speakers  and other IoT devices that actually use Android as an operating system.  Perhaps you can disconnect the printer from the network and see if the activity still occurs?

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.