Level 1
4 3 0 5
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Office Jet 6600 failure

HP office jet 6600
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Lightly used printer, out of warranty, previously (like yesterday)  working fine.  Then ink needs replacement, so I purchased $70 replacement 933/and 932 XL HP cartridges.  I replace the 932XL.  Printer fails:  "There is a problem with the printer or ink system."  I troubleshoot with all the suggestions.  Then I tried to contact HP but if you are out of warranty,  you are out of luck.  No phone number provided if you are out of warranty, just "search the forums."  Now I am stuck with brand new ink.  I will NEVER buy HP again due to poor quality, but even more due to horrible customer service.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,546 11,537 558 598
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Office Jet 6600 failure

@SuzyCN

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 
This is a great place to get support, find answers 

I understand that you are facing issue with the ink cartridge.
No worries, I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Are you using genuine HP ink cartridge?

I suggest you do a Hard Reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If the issue persists, click here for further assistance.

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. Said that, if I have helped you resolve the issue.

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution

Have a great day Ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
Level 14
21,074 20,455 1,538 3,433
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Office Jet 6600 failure

@SuzyCN wrote:

Lightly used printer, out of warranty, previously (like yesterday)  working fine.  Then ink needs replacement, so I purchased $70 replacement 933/and 932 XL HP cartridges.  I replace the 932XL.  Printer fails:  "There is a problem with the printer or ink system."  I troubleshoot with all the suggestions.  Then I tried to contact HP but if you are out of warranty,  you are out of luck.  No phone number provided if you are out of warranty, just "search the forums."  Now I am stuck with brand new ink.  I will NEVER buy HP again due to poor quality, but even more due to horrible customer service.

Try all these Google threads here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=There+is+a+problem+with+the+printer+or+ink+system&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&...

Search for more if needed.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
SuzyCN
Level 1
4 3 0 5
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Office Jet 6600 failure

Thank you but I've  already tried that a few times.    I finally got support to respond via Twitter since my printer is out of warranty, and thus no support phone number is provided.  There is nothing they will do for me.  I was offered a coupon towards a new purchase in the HP store, but I cannot find a model that will use the brand new HP ink I just bought.  So I think I will move on to another brand.  Thanks for reaching out.

0 Kudos
sunflowerbeauty
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Office Jet 6600 failure

Hi Expert:

I followed your instructions: 

1. Turn off printer

2. Unplug the power code

3. Unplug the power code at wall outlet.

Printer copies as before but still not printing!

Any more suggestions?

Richard Lee 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation