Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Office jet Pro 6970
macOS 10.14 Mojave

It is connected by wifi because using another computer as a print server no longer works.

I have to pull the plug because if I press the button it freezes.

If I want to PRINT or SCAN using the HP software I have to do this in order to make it work.

The current item is a replacement for one that failed in the warranty period.

Please make me happy by suggesting a solution.

Ta

Vlad

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Vladimir62, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand you're unable to print wireless from your Mac computer.

Follow the steps below and see if that helps- 

1. Remove All Barriers: Certain building materials can get in the way of weaker signals like Bluetooth. Metal, bulletproof glass, concrete, and plaster are particularly bad, and marble, plaster and brick aren’t great easy. So if you’re really struggling with interference, your first step should be to move your Bluetooth devices away from these materials. That means no brick walls between you and your devices, and definitely no metal desks! 
      

2. Change Router Channel: If you have an Apple router and you’re constantly getting interference with your WiFi, try rebooting it. Upon restart, the station will search for a new channel. Specifically, a different channel than the one your Bluetooth devices is using to communicate. If you don’t have an Apple router, you may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best. 
      

3. Move Closer to Your Router: If you often find that you’re getting interference when talking on a wireless headset while on a WiFi call (you’ll know because you’ll hear static), try moving closer to your router. This will give you a more robust WiFi connection, so the Bluetooth frequency can’t overpower it. 
      

4. Get Away From Microwaves and Fluorescent Lighting: Both emit frequencies of 2.4GHz, and moving away from them will distance you from the source. 

If the printer has stable connectivity and if you still face the printer offline issues, I'd like to know the following to isolate the issue further- 

  

• Are the printer and PC connected to the same network? 

• Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? 

• What is the distance between the router and the printer? 

• Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer? 

• Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results? 

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display. 

  

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us. 

  

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.  

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems. 

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

SOLVED BUT NOT AS ADVISED

The iMac is 18 inches away from the printer. No walls or anything but air in between. The router

I have used a mac mini successfully as a print server for half a dozen or so years attached via USB. The Printer is shared by the mini, all my family logins have permission to use it. 

The mini and the iMac are attached to the network via 10 baseT network cables.

I only started using wifi when the iMac stopped printing to the printer despite it being reported as being available and idle. 

After successfully changing every device in the house individually to use wifi to print, that worked for about two weeks. 

The software on the computers is Mojave and the most recent that HP offers.

the firmware on the printer is said to be up to date though your application froze when I tried to flash it from the iMac, I had to remote into the mini pull the plug from the printer, remove and add the printer and then run the firmware program for it to report it up to date.

You have given me a lot of homework diagnosing a wifi issue which solves itself each time the power cable is pulled out of the printer.

I think I have suused it.

1 Turn wifi off 2 attach printer to a computer by USB and share it making sure all permissions are valid. 3 on the client computers add the printer but DO NOT USE THE HP drivers, use the "generic post Script" printer driver.

The scanning software only works on clients if the print server is the iMac and the client the mini. The other way round, which is my preference, results in Easy Scan telling me one minute after I have printed something, that there is no scanner. Even if you add the printer once with a generic driver and again with the HP one, easy Scan fails to find the scanner.

You can't have everything, I'll have to remote in to do scanning.

Sorry to have wasted your time, it was my bad for not realising that Apple had secretly changed the way it allows you to print from a shared resource halfway through the life of Mojave.

Vlad

SOLVED BUT NOT AS ADVISED

HP Recommended

Sorry, was unclear

Step 1 of the solution was to turn the Printer wifi off.

Vlad

HP Recommended

@Vladimir62

Glad the issue is resolved.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.