Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Office jet Pro 6978
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Just put in brand new cartridges and the blue color cyan does not print on anything. Not on test pages, regular print,  and will not complete the alignment page scan for calibration. Printer status report page shows no cyan color but ink levels show full. Which it is. Brand new Hp cartridges were installed HP902. Printer status report shows that cyan ink cartridge warranty ended 10/8/15 all the other cartridges showed  1/8/20 expiration. Took the ink back to retailer and replaced it. Still no blue ink printing. I have seen a number of articles on this same problem. Tried all solutions. Nothing. This printer is about 19 months old. Out of warranty (of course)!! This is the second HP printer I bought in a 4 year time period. The last one the black cartridge went out. I think it may be time to switch brands. Unless someone has a miracle cure. Help!!!!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve cyan not printing on your Officejet Pro 6978.  

If the standard troubleshooting did not resolve cyan not printing I would suggest removing the cyan cartridge.  Turn it over and examine the area around the ink port.  There are four orange plastic spots, left over from the protective cap.  Make sure these are flush with the cartridge body, if not carefully trim them flush.  If the plastic nubs protrude they can prevent the cartridge from seating properly.  Before replacing the cartridge in the printer dribble a few (maybe four) drops of hot water into the ink port in the printer and two drops into the ink port on the cartridge then snap the cartridge back in position.  

It may also help to manually clean the printhead as described in the post here.

I have also seen cases where leaving the printer overnight after the cleaning cycles allows the color to recover.

If none of the above restores printing your printer will likely require repair or replacement.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks Bob_Headrick, trimming the orange nubs fixed my issue.

HP Recommended

@CT504 wrote:

Thanks Bob_Headrick, trimming the orange nubs fixed my issue.

Thanks for the posting, it is good to know when things get resolved.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip with the orange stubs left after the orange cap was broken off. I trimmed them flush with the cartridge and it works. 

HP Recommended

@UserCF wrote:

Thanks for the tip with the orange stubs left after the orange cap was broken off. I trimmed them flush with the cartridge and it works. 

I am glad I could help.  Can you please confirm the printer model - do you have the Officejet Pro 6978 or some other model? 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Bob, I have the Office Jet Pro 6978.

HP Recommended

I also have same problem with Officejet Pro 6978. I have tried ALL fixes suggested by HP. I just tried your suggestions, sad to report it did not fix my problem. Frustrating as this printer is not even 2 years old!

HP Recommended

Cutting off the orange nubs worked for me!  Thank you so much!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.