Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 200 Portable Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have recently bought an HP Officejet 200 portable printer to bring while travelling around Australia and am disappointed.

Of course, when travelling I won't normally have internet access, or wi-fi. Space is tight in a caravan, so it would be nice to put the printer somewhere away from my laptop, and not require a USB cable. Just common sense, but not apparently for HP. With no internet or wi-fi, can I print without using a usb cable? If so, then how?

I have not as yet managed to print even using a usb cable, I might add. I went to the 123HP or whatever it is website and spent a ridiculous amount of time attempting to set things up, wasting time with all sorts of crap like identifying which squares in a picture had traffic lights or buses, again and again and again, but I am still not able to print anything, with or without the usb cable. Definitely the hardest-to-use printer I have ever bought. 

Any help is appreciated.

Colin

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

You can use Wi-Fi Direct.

Wi-Fi Direct will allow you to print wirelessly without an internet connection, the Wi-Fi Direct will manage your printer and your computer ( or smart device) to communicate wirelessly between themselves.  

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c04577030

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply and help. Am I right in saying that the printer needs to be set up either for wireless/wifi operaton OR for usb operation, but not both? That was certainly my impression during the setup process. I would certainly not want the printer set up in any way that would PRECLUDE usb cable operation, which at least always works!

I don't understand how the direct-wifi would work. The only wifi I have ever used is where one device creates the wifi network by being a radio transmitter, and other devices receive that wifi signal. For example, a wifi modem is a transmitter, or a mobile phone can be set up as a transmitter, though it drains the battery fast.

Re the printer, presumably it is my laptop that would need to be the wifi transmitter, so that the printer can receive that information. But that would not work, because you need the printer to be able to send information back to the laptop. So please explain how direct-wifi provides the required 2-way communication. 

Colin

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.