Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 5258
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This is a brand new unit, bought from Costco. I am easily able to print to it via wireless from my iPhone and my Macbook Pro. BUT, for the life of me I have not been able to get it to work with a Windows 7 machine!! This should not be hard. I have installed the drivers from the HP site (HP OfficeJet 5200 All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Driver 44,4,2678), I have removed and reinstalled this driver I think about 10 times now. I even had windows update do the driver installation. Still no go. I even did all of the troubleshooting suggested on this forum (like stopping the spooling, etc, etc.. now I know why I don't use windows machines!). I am totally stumped. Not sure what to do anymore. Is this printer compatible with Windows 7??! This should be a quick thing. You plug the printer, and install the driver, and you are good to go. It should not be this complicated. If this is indeed not compatible, I need to know so I don't waste any more time and just return the printer. Appreciate any help and guidance. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello Johnghadimi, 

The printer is compatible with Win 7, 64 Bit OS.

Is there any error message during printer installation ?

Since the printer is on Wifi network, does the software finds the printer during installation ?

To check if the PC and printer are communicating, could you gather the printer IP address, open the browser and key in the Printer IP address in the address bar and hit ENTER. It should show up the printer information . 

Use the below URL to access steps to use the Printer EWS page. 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01123173

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Hello. Thanks for the reply. I'll check on the wifi network today. Aside from that, is there anything else i should be looking at?

When I print a document, I see a quick flash in the queue that says "deleting..." and then the document disappears and nothing is printed. Something is weird with how the OS is handling this printer. I'll report back on the wifi thing.

thanks;

john

HP Recommended

Hello, 

For issue related to print job disappearing from the print queue, use the below URL ..

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04372450

Regards,
Jabzi

HP Recommended

Thank you for the help, but I am giving up and returing this unit. There is NO reason this should not be working in this windows 7 machine. Other machines are easily connecting to it and printing to it. Even this machine sees the printer and is able to connect to it. But I see no resolution to the "deleting spooling" issue. I have tried literally every single solution, and have already wasted countless hours. This is being returned to Costco today. I may look into getting an Epson printer. Sorry HP, but this was not a fun ride.

John

HP Recommended

Hello, 

1.Click Start button on the Computer .
2.then click on Control Panel .
3.then Printers and Faxes
4.On top-left, click on Add a Printer
5.Click on Add a Local Printer
6.Then while "Use an Existing port" is selected , select "Virtual USB port ... " then click Next
7.from the Manufacturer list, select HP, and then under Printers list select Deskjet 990c or Officejet 5258 Class Driver , then Click next and complete the wizard

Now try printing . It should work.

Regards,
Jabzi

HP Recommended

This did not work. I ended up returning the printer. Please close this as unresolved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.