Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OfficeJet 6978 suddenly began printing stripes

OfficeJet Pro 6978
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

My OfficeJet 6978 suddenly began printing stripes in a blue areas.  It happens with both copying (with the computer cable disconnected) and printing from computer.  The diagnostic page has horizontal yellow stripes  through test pattern #3 which is supposed to be all green.  The printer has standard white paper and all new genuine HP cartridges.   I have done all the steps: cleaned the printheads multiple times, aligned the printheads multiple times, hard restart (twice).  Thinking it was a defective blue cartridge, I bought another.  Same result.  I am using a Mac desktop computer but it doesn't matter since it happens when I copy with the cable disconnected.  I am out of  ideas unless it's a printer failure.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
10,260 10,240 777 771
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OfficeJet 6978 suddenly began printing stripes

@ironhammer, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you have already performed the steps from the document Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation