Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 7110
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an OfficeJet 7110 that is connected to my Comcast wifi router. It has a reserved IP address and has worked flawlessly for 3 years. Comcast upgraded my router two weeks ago and I started having problems with the printer locking up after it goes to sleep. It appears that it loses the wifi connection when it goes into energy save mode. I try to print and get an error. I try to go to the IP address for the printer's web services and it's not there. I try to power off the printer and it won't shut down. I unplug it and plug it back in, it connects immediately and prints. There are no settings on the printer to shut off energy save. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@cduncanf1212 Welcome to HP Community!

Please follow the below steps to assign a manual/static IP to resolve your concern:

-Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep' is disabled. Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto-Off. --Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also, check your Printers Properties.

-If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, turn off IPv6 in the printer.

-If needed and you assigned a static IP address, try using 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 at the Alternate DNS server. 

-Verify the printer is on the latest firmware by checking with the HP Support site.

In the router: (Refer to your router manual for information) 

Use a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never 'auto', try channel 1 first then the rest. 

Set router to 20Mhz only, or 145Mbps depending on the router. 

Always use WPA2-AES (Personal) encryption, but you can try `mixed' mode. 

Disable WPS and never use it and disable UPnP for the routers security. Nobody can hack your system now and helps with wireless connectivity (if you want to know why search the web).

If you have a dual-band router (2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands), make sure the SSID's are NOT the same, they must be different for all bands, even for any Guest networks.

SSID broadcast must be enabled.

Save all settings. Power off both, wait 2 mins. Power on the router and wait 2 mins. 

Power on the printer and verify it reconnects to the router

You can also refer to the below video for the same. 

Note that, in the video, the interface shown is the Windows interface, but the steps are the same as it done using a web browser. 

And the article may have the title of another printer, but the steps are bound to help resolve your concern as well.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the helpful info. The EWS does not have an option to disable the energy save feature. The only option is to set it for 5, 10 or 15 minutes. For now, the only way I solve this is to shut the printer off manually at the end of the day and turn it back on in the morning. 

HP Recommended

@cduncanf1212 Does this mean the issue is resolved, and did you go through all the steps I had suggested? Please elaborate, thanks.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the follow up. It is not resolved. At this point, I prefer not to make a lot of changes to the router, though I did disable the upnp. I believe there may be other issues going on with the printer. A couple of times, the printer doesn't do anything when I unplug it and plug it back in. I leave it unplugged for a few minutes and when I plug it back in, the power button lights up and does nothing. I can't turn it on or off. Every 10 or so seconds the notice (!) and cyan cartridge lights blink together. I can't find any documentation about what that means. It seems that if i hit the wireless (((¡))) and cancel (X) buttons, the printer resets and connects to the network with no problem. 

HP Recommended

@cduncanf1212

Try updating the printer's firmware and check - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Firmware and software are up to date. I think it's a conflict with the Comcast wifi router. The printer exhibits strange behavior and seems to reset itself if I take out the power cord for 10 or 15 minutes. If I shut it down after use, it doesn't loose its wifi and doesn't lock up. 

HP Recommended

@cduncanf1212 Before we jump into a conclusion, let me ask you this, since the device was working before the router was changed, does the printer work fine when it isn't connected to the router? does the copier work as a stand-alone device?

Please let me know.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.