HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,383 2,202
Message 21 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OfficeJet 8600 Printhead error after firmware update

@unfixable,

Welcome to Forums,

I would suggest you go ahead and remove the ink cartridges from the printer and then perform a Hard reset on the printer. 

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Please ensure you have followed all the steps suggested in this support document for - A 'Missing or Failed Printhead' Displays for HP Officejet Pro 251dw, 276dw, and 8600 Printer

If the issue persists, this can be a possible hardware failure, however, there is no harm in trying to perform an advanced reset on the printer. 

We are going to provide you some additional steps via PM that are specific related to your product model.

Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
nothappy8
3 2 0 0
Message 22 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jeet_singh

I have the same issue. Firmeware is up to date. Cleaned and reseated print header a couple times, did reset. The printer started to calibrate and printed the page for calibration. And after finished then told me again: "The printhead appears to be missing, not detected, or incorrectly installed." ☹️  

I would be greatful if i can also get some help. 

Thanks

Stephan

0 Kudos
Ivor_-Clue123
2 1 0 0
Message 23 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi jeet, i have the same error message with one of my HP 8610 printers  there is a problem with the printhead or  ink system routine. I have thrown out one printer previously so if you are in a position to send me this update so i can reset my printer to how it was and get it working again that would be good. regards tony hicks (ivor  clue)

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,093 17,005 964 1,084
Message 24 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Ivor_-Clue123

Welcome to HP support community.

Reseat the printhead up to three times

Step 1: Unseat the printhead

1. Slip your fingers into the slot on the left side of the printer, and then pull forward to open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the left side of the printer. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before proceeding.

Figure : Open the cartridge access door

Image: Open the cartridge access door.

Slot on the left side of the printer
  2. Unplug the power cord from the rear of the printer. Unplugging the printer prevents the carriage from moving.

WARNING: 

You must disconnect the power cord before reaching inside the printer to avoid risk of injuries or electric shock.

3. Lift the carriage latch.

Figure : Lift the carriage latch

Image: Lift the carriage latch.
  4. Grasp the sides of the printhead, and then slightly lift the printhead without fully removing it from the carriage.

Figure : Slightly lift the printhead

Image: Slightly lift the printhead.

Step 2: Reseat the printhead, and then lower the carriage latch

1. Reinsert the printhead into the carriage to reseat it. As you guide the printhead into the carriage, it settles into the carriage as it seats.

Figure : Reseat the printhead

Image: Reseat the printhead.
  2. Gently rock the printhead to the left and right to make sure that the printhead fully seats in the carriage.

3. Lower the carriage latch.

Figure : Lower the carriage latch

Image: Lower the carriage latch.
  4. Make sure that the carriage latch is down.

Figure : Carriage latch positions

Image: Carriage latch positions.

Carriage latch is up
    2. Carriage latch is down

5. Close the ink cartridge access door.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

7. If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

8. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ColleenA1
1 1 0 0
Message 25 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,  I am having a similar problem with my 8600 inkjet all in one.  However I am unable to update the firmware.  It gives me an error that it is unable to update firmware. I received a message the update failed on one  computer".  I tried taking out the print head, installed new ink cartridges and turned off the printer from the outlet and the printer and waited 3 minutes before turning on.  To no avail, message is still there.   There was a post for an advanced reset on the printer that has worked for some.  Could you please share?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,133 18,121 1,201 1,859
Message 26 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ColleenA1,

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article to update the printer firmware and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02919168

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
FJBones
1 1 0 0
Message 27 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the 8610 and just got the same printhead failure message. Is there anyway i could get the hard reset instructions before I open the box on this canon printer I just bought. If i can get this thing back working I'll bring it back and continue giving hp all my money on ink rather than switching over to canon. Thanks in advance and yes I did all the possible solutions including disassembly and cleaning all contacts.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation