Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeP58
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OfficeJet 8600 Printhead error after firmware update

Accepted the firmware update this morning and was then greeted by "The printhead appears to be missing, not detected, or incorrectly installed."  Tried all the troubleshooting steps: reset printer (unplug while on, wait 60 sec), cleaned and reseated printhead.  Reseated cartridges.  Repeated many times.   

Could be a true printhead failure, I suppose, but the coincidence is striking.   

Used as wifi printer only.

HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g

Model Number CM750A        

Firmware Version CKP5CN1829AR

Can I downgrade the firmware somehow?

MikeP58  

former hp employee

Tags (2)
26 REPLIES 26
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,383 2,203
Message 2 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MikeP58,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from your post that you are having issues related to HP OfficeJet printer after the recent firmware update. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

As you have mentioned in your post that you have already tried to perform a Hard reset on the printer as well as cleaned and reseated the printhead and still having the issue. 

In this scenario, I would suggest you perform an advanced reset on the printer. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

MikeP58
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Jeet_Singh for your prompt assistance.

My printer is working again.  I needed to only perform steps 1 and 2, without initiating the "Semi-Full Reset," resulting in clearing the Printhead error while retaining the network settings. 

Regards,

MikeP58  

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MikeP58,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution/

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ChairManOhio
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem as mentioned before- that being the latest security firmware update appears to have caused the “The printhead appears to be missing, not detected, or incorrectly installed”.  The printer was working fine with no indications of problem until the software was installed.  I tried all the fixes mentioned on the HP site.  I was wondering what the instructions are for an advanced reset mentioned in one of your posts.  I am not able to press the back arrow 4 times because the menu goes directly to the above mentioned error message.  HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 N911g, serial # [edited], Software version 028.000.1315, printer driver versio 09.84.00.1173.  Please help!

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ChairManOhio,

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums! I see from your post you are having issues related to HP Printer. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ChairManOhio
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Jeet_Singh.

I look forward to receiving the Private Message.  It has not yet appeared in my Mail Icon area.

0 Kudos
StefanoCosta
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi we have exactly the same problem here, would it be possible to receive the same instructions? Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
MikeP58
4 2 0 0
Message 9 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Jeet_Singh,

The private message intended for ChairManOhio was sent to me instead.

It appears this is a growing issue.  hp may want to post a public solution rather than handing each case individually.

Regards,

MikeP58

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
StefanoCosta
5 4 0 0
Message 10 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any news about this? Seems that more users are experiencing the same problem after firmware upgrade and deep reset solves, any chance that HP publish the procedure??

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation