Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Tried to reload the paper a number of times with no luck

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forums! Have you tried restarting the printer yet? Also try printing from the other tray to see if that tray causes an issue as well. Here is how you can print from the second tray:

1. Load U.S. Letter or A4 size, unused, plain white paper into the alternate tray.
  2. On the product control panel, touch the Right Arrow ( ).
  3. Touch Setup ( ), and then touch Preferences .
  4. Touch Default Tray , and then touch the tray that is not checked .
  5. Touch the Home icon ( ) to return to the main menu.
  6. Try to print the document again.

Here is a good document on troubleshooting this issue which is very helpful: An 'Out of Paper' Message Displays and the Product Does Not Pick Up or Feed Paper

Best of luck!

-Sean S

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

This still didn't help, I tried both trays, and says :"out of paper".

HP Recommended

Ok, well there is a few different reasons that could cause this issue. Does this happen in a specific application? Walk through this document which covers some other trouble shooting steps.

An 'Out of Paper' or 'Pick Motor Stalled' Message Displays and the Product Does Not Pick Up or Feed ...

Be sure to let me know what application(s) this occurs in.

Thanks

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I have an HPPro 8600 Plus   Since it was brand new I have NEVER gotten it to pick up paper correctly!  I see many others are having this problem. IS THERE A FIX?

It is not the computer saying it is out of paper. It is the printer.  I loaded more paper, less paper. different paper, HP paper. SAME RESULT.  I am very  frustrated by this and have never had a problem in the past with HP printers. Not with any paper. I find I have to pull the paper tray in and out of the printer multiple times before it decides to print one sheet, then the error starts again.

I did everything listed on this forum that was suggested to others to no avail. Please give me a solution.  

HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you have an issue with your Officejet 8600 picking up paper correctly. I understand you mentioned you have tried everything listen on this forum, however I am unsure of the steps you have tried. I am going to post a direct link for you to troubleshoot this exact issue. If you have already done these steps, I apologize.

An 'Out of Paper' or 'Pick Motor Stalled' Message Displays, and the Printer Does Not Pick Up or Feed...

If the issue still persists for you, I recommend calling HP's Technical Support to see if there are any other options for you.

I hope this helps!

RegardsSmiley Happy

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

The problem likely has nothing at all to do with your printer as I've run into the same thing until I finally figured it out.  Your document you created in Word, for example, is likely encoded with a message telling the printer to use paper from another tray to print the page.  This printer only has one tray so it causes a problem.  You'll need to do a search engine search to see how to remove your paper tray code from your word processing document.  If you doubt this, try printing from something else ... such as using your web browser to print a page.  If it prints that page fine, then you know the problem is your paper tray code and not the HP8600 printer. 

HP Recommended

Your question is pretty old now, but see my comment below.   You likely have a paper tray code embedded in your word processing document.  It isn't your printer that has the problem, it is your wordprocessing document inappropriately telling the printer to use a 2nd or 3rd paper tray (letterhead tray for example) when this printer only has 1 tray).

HP Recommended

I had the same problem... and came up with a quick and easy solution.

Select something to print that won't take a lot of ink and choose the plain paper setting.

Take plain paper... I used two and poured 99% alcohol over the top/middle of the sheets.

Insert the sheets into the tray and print on the pages  Each sheet will be picked up and pass through the printer.

This will clean the pick up roller... and will allow you to print again.

God Bless

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.