Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 8710

Hi- I just purchased a new HP OfficeJet 8710 printer. Since I set it up, about every 10-20 minutes it prints out a blank page that has at the top:

☺@EJL 1284.4

@EJL

@EJL

This is very irritating, especially since I use HP Instant Ink, and am being charged by the pages printed. How do I stop this from happening?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey @apzarov

Welcome to the HP Support Forum. I hope you enjoy your time here. 

I understand that you are having an issue with some blank pages printing out with random text at the top. I'd like to assist with that. 

Just to completely rule this possibility out, can I please have you remove the paper from your printer, and confirm there is nothing already written on the pages?

Does this only happen every 10-20 minutes after you print something? Or is this constantly happening even when you have not printed anything recently? 

If you could guess, how many pages approximately has printed out with this issue? 

What devices are you printing from? 

I will go into a little more specific details once we narrow down some of the possibilities 🙂

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum. 

Have a great day.

Jackie - HP Instant Ink Support

LegallyBlonde
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
Hi Jackie-

Thank you for your help.

There is definitely nothing already written on the paper. These pages print all the time, even when I haven't printed something recently. I would guess that 10-20 pages have been printed like this because for the most part, I have been leaving the printer turned off to prevent the issue.

I am printing from a 2016 Mac Book Pro that is on OS X El Capitan.

Let me know if you have any ideas- thanks!
HP Recommended

Thanks! 

Okay, I have a few suggestions to try. First question, if you were to turn your printer on, would it try to print something within 10-20 minutes? 

If so, let's first uninstall the software: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02440673

Then let's turn the printer on. Let's wait for the 10 - 20 minutes and let me know if it tries to print anything off. 

If it hasn't, let's go ahead and re-install the software:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8710-all-in-one-printer-series/7902014/drivers

Let me know how that goes. I will watch for your reply.

Jackie - HP Instant Ink Support

LegallyBlonde
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi- Sorry for the late response. I just tried uninstalling the software as instructed and restarting my computer. After 10 minutes, the printer was still printing these random sheets. 

Let me know what else I can try.

Thanks,

Anna

HP Recommended

Another update: I am now not able to print at all because the software will not reinstall.

When I attempt to set up the printer in HP Easy Start, after trying to connect to my wifi network for quite a while, I repeatedly get the message "Cannot find device. The device was not found on your wireless network. Click Wait to continue searching, or click Reconfigure to start the configuration again from the beginning. Click Cancel to select another device."

However, this is a strange message because while the software is still searching for the printer, the printer shows that it is already connected to my wifi. 

Please get back to me; your suggestion to uninstall the software has now left me unable to print at all.

Thanks,

Anna

HP Recommended

I had this exact same issue (@EJL 1284.4)  and just resolved it after a 9 day battle.  Turns out, a user on the network got a new Epson WF-3720 printer at home and installed the software that came with it.  For reasons i'm still unsure of, this was forcing out a page to two of our Ricoh copiers about every 10min.  Once I removed and re-added the network printers for this user, the issue went away.

Unfortunately, these was no solid way of finding the culprit, I mostly lucked into it.  Even packet capture at the switch did not help me.  Your best bet may be to just ask people who got a new Epson printer at home recently.

As to your local printing to HP, first verify it's still getting an IP address using the control panel on the device itself.  Then look for an option in the software to pick or enter your device info.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.