Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6968
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I'm printing stuff today and the last couple pages are almost blank.  Time to replace the ink cartridges.  I open up genuine HP 902 cartridges (3 color, 1 black) and install them.  Now the printer wont work.  It starts with a message to clear a paper jam that does not exist, then goes to the screen for error 0x6100004a.  If I power it down and back up, it tells me I powered down incorrectly (even though I used the power button), thinks it has a paper jam, and repeats.

If I attempt to replace the ink cartridges now, it will not send the carrier to the accessible position, and instead leaves it parked on the right hand side.

This is my third HP printer that has died for no reason.  Maybe I need to learn that lesson.

Short of tossing this with brand new ink cartridges, is there anything else I should try?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @Hoaty

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I understand that you are getting a Printer Failure Message with Error Code.

I'd like to help.

Let's start with a Printer Reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
 NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Please reinstall the Cartridges properly.

1. Turn on the printer.

2. Slip your fingers into the slot on the left side of the printer, and then lift to open the ink cartridge access door.

The carriage moves to the left side of the printer.

NOTE: If the scanner lid is open, the ink cartridge access door does not open.

Figure : Opening the ink cartridge access door

Open the cartridge access door
  3. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you proceed.

4. Run your finger along the top of the ink cartridges to check for any unseated ink cartridges in the carriage. Press down on any ink cartridge that is higher than the others to firmly snap the ink cartridge into its slot.

Figure : Pressing down on an unseated ink cartridge

Pressing down on the cartridge to reinsert it
  5. If the ink cartridge does not snap into place, remove the ink cartridge from the carriage.

6. Gently bend the tab away from the ink cartridge.

CAUTION: Be careful not to bend the tab out more than 1.27 cm (0.5 in). Moving the tab too far might damage the ink cartridge or cause the tab to break off.

Figure : Gently bending the tab away from the ink cartridge

1. Bend the tab away from the cartridge

2. Do not bend the tab more than 1.27 cm (0.5 in)

7. Reinsert the ink cartridge into the carriage until it snaps into place, and then close the ink cartridge access door.

Figure : Closing the ink cartridge access door

Close the cartridge access door

If the issue persists, please contact our Phone Support for Service Options

If the issue persists, please contract our Phone Support for Service Options

Step 1. Open link: http://hp.care/2moMFSc
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

You can refer to this Link: http://hp.care/2AVmYPh

Keep me posted

Thank you 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" 

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, Krazy Toad.

I tried:

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

This did no good.

When I attempt to reinstall cartridges in accordance with your very detailed instructions, I hit a problem because the ink cartridges remain at the extreme right end of the travel, and are obstructed.  Nevertheless, I verified to the best of my ability that all the cartridges are seated.  I am unable to remove the yellow or black cartridges in this position.

What can you tell me about how to move the cartridges to the left so all are accessible?

HP Recommended

Hi @Hoaty

Thanks for keeping me posted. Are you able to move the Carriage Manually?

Please try updating the Firmware from this Link: http://hp.care/2pmWwLm

If the issue persists, please contact our Phone Support.

Thank you 🙂

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended
No. It wiggles a fraction of an inch, but it acts like it is interfering with another part. I tried both with the printer powered on and also unplugged. No success either way.
HP Recommended

Hi @Hoaty

This is a Hardware issue. I would request you to contact our Phone Support for Upgrade Options or replacement

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Thank you 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" 

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have had the exact same issue and tried to follow the steps below.  My cartridges are stuck to the far right as well.  My printer is out of warranty.  Is it worth trying to save?

HP Recommended

@ShanWest

Welcome to the HP Support Community

This is a hardware issue with the printer, I would personally suggest you contact our HP Support for one on one interaction. 

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Step 2. Sign in / sign in as a guest

Step 3. Enter the product number or select to auto detect

Step 4. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 5. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thanks for you help!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your honest response.  I am moving on to a new Epson.  Appreciate it!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.