Did you mean: 
NoColor
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OfficeJet Pro 6978 wont print color

HP officejet pro 6978

We have a fairly new printer about 7 months old, and just recently even after replacing the ink cartriges with another new set of inks, it still does not print color. Only black and faded yellow color  prints thru when majority of the picture im trying to print is in Red and Blue.????

4 REPLIES 4
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,387 2,228
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@NoColor,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues while printing from your HP OfficeJet printer. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution. 

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

Have you tried to clean the ink cartridge contacts?

Have you tried to print an print quality diagnostics report?

Are you able to make a color copy from the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

Alternatively, I would suggest you follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP OfficeJet Pro 6900 Printers - Fixing Poor Print Quality

Please respond to this post with the details and with the results of the troubleshooting for further assistance. 

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
chazporter
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just tried all the steps listed below and still no color. None of the colors are printing. Any other thoughts or is the printer dead?

0 Kudos
wvterry
1 1 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also just tried the steps recommended without success. Still only black with sligh yellow.

What next please?

PAZ22
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I encountered the same thing with our HP Office Jet Pro 6978.  After replacing the 3 color cartridges with brand new HP color cartridges the printer no longer printed in color. The fix is found in the control\view panel on the front of the printer.  If you touch the asterisk * icon on the far left of the menu it OPENS the SETUP screen.  Scroll down the screen (light touch of your finger)  until you see "Pinter Maintenance" .  Touch Printer Maintenance with your finger and it will open up the next menu.

The first item is "Clean Printhead"  Touch Clean Printhead.  You may have to run through the process at least two times.

Color worked fine after process finished.  You also Have "Align Printhead" and "Clear Smear" on the same menu.  Might or should also execute the "Align Printhead" menu after replacing the cartridges.  I remember having to do the same with another HP Color printer we owned.  New color cartridges  have worked fine on several pages now including a Photo.  My wife actually executed this fix.  

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation