Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had to do a hard reset of my printer by unplugging it to get the printer to work again. After about a day, the power light in the power switch blinks slowly but is non-responsive. I cannot turn it on or off by the power switch. The touch pad is  blank and black, also non-responsive. I have to do a hard reset by unplugging the printer to get it to work again. 

The printer is connected wirelessly. The IP address is fixed (no DHCP). I have the printer schedule ability disabled. 

I have reinstalled the driver software several times now. I have run the HP diagnostic software after after a fix of a driver in Windows, it passes diagnostics. It still dies however.

The printer firmware is up to date.

The wireless indicator light is off even after a reset but the printer does can to the computer when the touchpad is working.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

47 REPLIES 47
HP Recommended

@JGPhotoArts

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Forums.

I came across your post and would like to assist. 

I understand that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer and have to do a hard reset of my printer by unplugging it to get the printer to work again. Secondly, the power light in the power switch blinks slowly. You're unable to power off the printer using the power button. You have to perform a hard reset to restart the printer. I appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting this issue and have certainly done a good job.

You have covered most of the troubleshooting steps such as ensuring a fixed IP address is assigned to the printer, uninstalled and reinstall the printer drivers, ensured that the firmware is updated. 

Therefore, I suggest to go for a semi full reset on this printer. This reset will restore the printer to its original factory condition. Any internal programming errors with the printer will get eliminated and the printer should work fine thereafter.

I have sent you a private message with the reset instructions. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks MKazi for the information but I didn't get your private message. Anyway, I tried the method I found online about turning off the printer and then turning it back on and during the boot up process depress the back arrow 4 times. Well, the back arrow is not lit during boot so I tried to hit the correct location and tried to do it multiple times. I never got the internal menu for the semi-reset or full-reset options. I have the latest verison of the firmware. Does it work in this version? Am I doing something wrong in the process? Please try sending that private email message again. I never go the first one.

@MKazi wrote:

@JGPhotoArts

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Forums.

I came across your post and would like to assist. 

I understand that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer and have to do a hard reset of my printer by unplugging it to get the printer to work again. Secondly, the power light in the power switch blinks slowly. You're unable to power off the printer using the power button. You have to perform a hard reset to restart the printer. I appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting this issue and have certainly done a good job.

You have covered most of the troubleshooting steps such as ensuring a fixed IP address is assigned to the printer, uninstalled and reinstall the printer drivers, ensured that the firmware is updated. 

Therefore, I suggest to go for a semi full reset on this printer. This reset will restore the printer to its original factory condition. Any internal programming errors with the printer will get eliminated and the printer should work fine thereafter.

I have sent you a private message with the reset instructions. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

I am having this same issue with my hp8600. Can you email me the instructions on doing a hard reset? 
thank you!

HP Recommended

@Stephagreen0926

I have gone through your Post and I would like to help

Have to tried updating the Printer Firmware? You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

If the issue persists we could try a Semi Full Reset. Since these steps are specific to your printer, I have sent a private message with the instructions

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you  😊 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am also having the same issue of power light blinking and the touch pad being non responsive, can you please send me instructions.

Many thanks

HP Recommended

Please send me a message on a reset. I have the same problem,

[edit]

HP Recommended

@certileman1

Welcome to HP support community.

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@sandytechy20

can you please also send me the instructions to reset the printer,

thank you

HP Recommended

@Bakerslane

Please check your private message with steps. 

Thanks! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.