Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8715
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I changed out my ink cartridge the printer no longer recognizes the ink cartridges that I have been using. Based on research it seems HP has bricked my printer with their latest update preventing me from using my printer.

HP please help me revert this firmware change so my ink cartridges continue to work.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Darryl8
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Are you using a non-HP ink cartridge?

Have you tried with Old ink cartridges?

• You may refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems. HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges.
  • Quality Logic, one of the world's foremost quality assurance organizations, tested the performance of HP inkjet print cartridges vs. remanufactured (refilled) brands.
  • The results: original HP inkjet print cartridges far surpassed ink refills in both print quality and reliability.
  • Nearly one out of every six refilled ink cartridges tested was dead on arrival or failed prematurely 70% of refilled cartridges had some form of reliability problem Count on HP original ink cartridges for consistent, worry-free printing.
  • You may think you're saving money on remanufactured or refilled ink cartridges, but in the long run, the cost of wasted time, ink, and paper can more than make up the difference.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes I'm using ink cartridges from a supplier I have used for a long time. After the most recent firmware update I needed to change one and it didnt work. I tried 2 others with no luck either.

Let me know how best to get it to use those cartridges again.

HP Recommended

I also have an aftermarket ink cartridge that does not work after doing an update with my printer (OfficeJet Pro 6978).  I would like to revert my printer to how it was before the update.  Please let me know how to do that.

HP Recommended

@Darryl8

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP cannot hold people hostage and force them to purchase HP ink. I bought and paid for a printer.....I did not sign on the dotted line and swear to use only HP ink.  I can assure you that if HP does not correct the problem, there will be MANY people who toss HP out (and not just printers) and move on to someone else!!!!! 

HP Recommended

@bamaland, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Bamaland, Apparently they can hold you hostage and force you to buy HP ink only!  The HP Support Agent Echo_Lake told me back in November:  "I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact."

I haven't heard a thing from anyone since then.  It seems they just want to post those replies so it appears they are trying to help their customers, but then no one ever does.

I ended up just buying a black HP ink cartridge to get by, but when that's out, if I haven't gotten a resolution from HP, I'm going to get a new printer that is other than HP.  And as you suggested, I won't buy anything HP again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.