Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OfficeJet Pro 8740 startup issue

OfficeJet Pro 8740 (Product number:D9L21A)
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
Hello, everyone. I wish to ask you for your help, please.

We have two Officejet Pro 8740 printers in our home. The 1st was purchased earlier and never used. It was safely stored and kept in the box. The 2nd we got a few days ago.

The 2nd unit had no SETUP cartridges, so replacement ink was installed. This caused a "Use SETUP cartridges that came with your printer" message. So we got the SETUP cartridges from the 1st (unused) printer only to see a "Use new cartridges for startup" message. 

Apparently, the printer is looking for those original SETUP cartridges and wont proceed without them. I realize the contacts on the cartridges are read by the printer. Now having attempted to use the SETUP cartridges from the 1st unit (with the 2nd unit), I'm worried that these same cartridges won't work in the 1st unit either.  

Is there a way to reset the 2nd printer to the day it came out of the box? Also, is it possible to acquire new SETUP cartridges so that we can use our two new printers?

Any assistance that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
OnePMthumbnail_20200522_184715.jpgthumbnail_20200522_184319.jpg
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
27,652 27,373 4,824 10,865
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OfficeJet Pro 8740 startup issue

Hi,

For the 1st unit, simply return the cartridges to the original printer and it should work, the Setup cartridges shipped in the box are used to initialize the printer, once the printer has initialized these cartridges are now encoded as retailer cartridge and can be used with any printer already initialized, so installing them back in the original printer should work with no issues.

For the 2nd printer, I've sent you a private message.

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation