Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have had this printer for almost a year and it constantly gets carriage jams. I find that the carriage actually tears the paper when it jams. I should note that I am running the printer in single cartridge mode so I can see the actual torn part. I am about to return the printer under warranty unless there is something I can do to correct this situation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@torbau

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Create a TCP IP port that may resolve this issue:

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)

1. On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon , and then touch the Settings icon .

2. Touch Print Reports, and then touch Network Configuration Page.

2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

You may watch this video for a better understanding.

Note: This video is not from HP but from a third party channel on YouTube.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

@torbau

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to reset the Printer here:

Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

1. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
  7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If the issue persists, please perform the remaining steps from this document: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-3830-all-in-one-printer-series/7172321/document/c0...

If the issue still persists, I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team for an exchange as this could be a hardware issue.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the new printer and would like to install it and clean up my system. What is the best way to clean out all of the old data and start again?  Please note that I had problems getting the original unit to print wireless and had to use a patch to get rid of the" Printer requires attention message."

HP Recommended

I had this info in a previous post . Sorry for asking the question again.

HP Recommended

@torbau

To assist you better, the new printer that you have, what model printer is it?

How do you want to connect the printer to the PC, USB or Wireless?

To delete all data/clean your PC, you may reset your PC

Refer to this document for more info.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar I think I am ok. I followed steps that were in a previous post and everything seems ok now. Thanks

HP Recommended

@torbau

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Present problem is one that I had before but it has reappeared.

After startup if I try to print the printer returns an error "Printer requires attention" . I f I open up and open door as if to change cartridges but then just close it , it continues to print. I think there was a "patch" for it but not sure if it still applies.

HP Recommended

@torbau

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Create a TCP IP port that may resolve this issue:

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)

1. On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon , and then touch the Settings icon .

2. Touch Print Reports, and then touch Network Configuration Page.

2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

You may watch this video for a better understanding.

Note: This video is not from HP but from a third party channel on YouTube.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That corrected the problem. Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.