Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Inspiron 15-7569
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer prints fine but when I select copy and then select Start Black Copy or Start Color Copy it gives a tone. There is no error message. There is plenty of ink and paper and it will print over the wireless network without problem, but the copy function is not working.

* I ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.2.1 without resolution.

*I read a post in the forum that described a hard restart by removing the ink cartridges, unplugging the power cord from the machine and then from the wall, waiting 2 to 3 minutes and pressing the start button for 30 seconds before reversing the sequence. The directions included unplugging a USB connection but I don't have one.  The hard restart did not make any change in the status of being able to print but not copy.

Do you have any suggestions for what else to try?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Wo-jo

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Does this happen while scanning too? Also, does this happen with the scanner glass or the Feeder or both?

Change copy settings

Adjust color, contrast, and enhancement settings from the printer control panel menu to improve copy quality.

NOTE: 

For printers without a control panel menu, most models use default normal copy settings that cannot be changed. As a workaround, scan the original into the computer, and then use the editing tools in the HP scanning software to improve the image quality. You can then print multiple copies of the edited scan file.

1. Touch Copy, Copy Document, or Copy Photo on the printer control panel, and then select any available basic settings that apply to your copy job.

2. Touch Settings or the gear icon  to open the copy job options. You might need to scroll down the control panel screen to access all settings.

• Paper Type: Select the type of plain or photo paper for your copies.

• Quality: Select an available copy quality level.

• Lighter/Darker or Contrast: If the original is faded or too saturated, make the copy lighter or darker.

• Optimize or Enhancements: Select the type of item you are copying to improve quality, such as sharpening text and image edges or improving faded colors in photos.

• HP Copy Fix: Automatic copy quality and skew adjustment tool.

• Save Current Settings or Set as New Defaults: Retains the selected settings for future copy jobs.

3. Depending on the printer, touch Start, or return to the main Copy screen by touching Back, and then touch Start Black, Start Color, or OK to start the copy job.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Betty,

The device will not copy when the paper is on the scan glass or the feeder. I tried both.

At your suggestion, I tried to change the print settings, but that did not help.

Next, I tried to scan to do the workaround, and the device is failing to scan.

I tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor to attempt to fix the scan issue. It claims there is not a network connection. I reset the connection, and I know it is working because I can print from my computer. It did not pass the driver, so I reinstalled the driver from the HP support website, and that did not fix the issue. I followed the directions of the P & S Doctor, and it just got stuck in a loop of asking me to unplug the device, plug it back in and turn it on and then restart my computer. I did that three times, but it gets stuck on the same step even though I checked the network connection and reinstalled the driver before trying the third time.

If you have (or anyone else has) additional suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them.

Blessings,

Laurie

HP Recommended

@Wo-jo

Thanks for replying, Laurie. Appreciate you trying the steps. 

I'd suggest, try updating the printer's firmware. Refer to this document for steps - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried updating the firmware and the printer indicates it has the latest version. No updates are available.

Thanks for the suggestion.

HP Recommended

I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team as this could be a hardware issue.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.