Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet 4650 all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP officejet 4650 prints color photos ok but when i print a document that has color graphics or color text, it does not print the colors.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@floofi

Welcome to HP support community.

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer related software's.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install printer full feature driver

Click here  to download the driver.

Update the printer firmware

Follow the steps mentioned in this HP document to update firmware:- Click here

Once you install the printer, change the bellow settings to print in color.

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button , and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click the printer that you want to use, and then click Printing preferences.
  3. Make your choices, and then click OK.
  4. Under option Print color select color , then the OK button.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try printing a Printer Status Report and compare the printout with the shown sample, can you see all colors printed correctly from the printer itself?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04707093

Assuming it is printing the report correctly, try following below version of the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting your printer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Be sure to restart your PC and allow the utility to complete the process, then check for any difference.

Please let me know the results,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I have done all you suggested with no change. All print type documents do not show the color graphics I see when displaying the print preview. The graphics, borders and text when colored come out black/gray.

HP Recommended

This is something that happened after the printer was installed on my fairly new PC. There was a time when the printer did produce color in various document files. That is why I am thinking it may be a communication issue between Win 10 and HP, drivers not current with changes to win 10 upgrades. My lap also has similar printer problems with color graphics with printed  document files

HP Recommended

@tv2020 wrote:

I have done all you suggested with no change. All print type documents do not show the color graphics I see when displaying the print preview. The graphics, borders and text when colored come out black/gray.

If a Printer Status Report does not list any color too, this has nothing to do with the PC, but the printer ink system only, the PC has nothing to do with a Printer Status Report printed by the printer.

Follow the below steps, starting from Step 2 to troubleshoot such a print quality problem:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04718409

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with 2 different Laptops under WIN10. The two Laptops works over 2 years perfect, but after the latest WIN10 updates (current version Win10 home, 1903, build 18362.778) I can not print colors anymore.

A third Laptop with WIN10 works, but this one has an older WIN10 version.

I think there is a problem with the different WIN10 versions and the HP driver.

Deleting and reinstalling the driver did not help.

Any ideas?

Kind Regards

HP Recommended

@floofi

Welcome to HP support community.

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer related software's.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install printer full feature driver

Click here  to download the driver.

Update the printer firmware

Follow the steps mentioned in this HP document to update firmware:- Click here

Once you install the printer, change the bellow settings to print in color.

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button , and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click the printer that you want to use, and then click Printing preferences.
  3. Make your choices, and then click OK.
  4. Under option Print color select color , then the OK button.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Sandytechy20

Thank you very much for your help! Now it works - thumbs up 🙂

HP Recommended

@floofi

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Having the same problem. Color printing worked a week ago and now longer does. The color selection option is missing from the printer settings.

MERRSS_0-1592783950007.png

HP Smart does not print PDF's in color even when selecting the color option.  I have uninstalled and installed the HP drivers and windows drivers on several computers with the same result. And I have Windows 10 version 1909.

I have reset the printer to factory settings, made sure the  firmware is current, printed test pages and made color copies.  The problem does not seem to be a hardware issue.

What next?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.