Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just got the Officejet 4650 because I needed something with higher quality printing. Afraid that's not what I got.

Colors are printing WAY too dark. Super light aqua blue (on the monitor) is printing EXTRA dark regular blue from the printer.

How can I calibrate colors? I see no color settings whatsoever in printer preferences, printer settings, etc.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@mamajenedesigns,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! As I understand you are having print quality issues while printing from your HP OfficeJet printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently mad any changes on the printer before the issue started?

Are you using genuine HP Ink cartridges or refilled cartridges.

Have you checked for any ink smears on the back of the printouts?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

If the copy comes out bad, I would suggest here is to follow all the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Printers - Fixing Print Quality Problems

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have not made any changes to the printer settings. I can’t even find anywhere to change color settings.

Yes I am using genuine HP cartridges that the printer came with. Like I said, I just bought the printer and set it up and am immediately having problems.

There have been no smears on the back of printouts.

Whoo boy that took forever to do all those steps. I’ve never heard of the power cord having an affect – is this an issue with the printer? Having to be plugged straight into the wall instead of a power surge protector?

Unfortunately the test page printed out streaky after all this.

The copy actually was close in color, but darker in some areas and lighter in others. It is streaky as well.

After going to the fixing printer page…

I had the printer clean the cartridges. There was a dark line on the green box so I put it through a second level of cleaning. Everything is streaky now.

I went through the align printer option and scanned the printed page.

I printed a page of my own again… the streakiness is fixxed but it’s still not printing the correct color blue. Does the office jet not have the capability to print teal/aqua?

HP Recommended

@mamajenedesigns,

Thank you for replying,

I understand that you have followed the steps suggested in the previous post and it seems to have helped resolving the print quality issue. However, it seems to have an issue while printing to teal/aqua. What program are you trying to print from?

Was it working previous or are you trying to print for the first time?

If the copy comes out fine, then this could be an issue with the software or the drivers: 

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Now click on this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL61230/mp-147816-1/OJ4650_Full_WebPack_1122.exe to download and install the printer software.

Connect the USB cable only when prompted and follow the instructions to complete the setup.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nothing has resolved the print quality issue I’ve been having – which is that light light aqua blue prints dark dark regular blue.

I’ve tried printing straight from jpg file, pdf file, from corel photo paint, corel draw, and cricut design space. All are printing the same.

This is the first time I’m using this printing so it’s never printed correctly.

This is a wireless printer, so there is no usb.

I uninstalled the programs.

And removed the devices.

But when I go to server properties and drivers, I try to remove drivers and driver packages and it says this:

Failed to remove driver HP OfficeJet 4650 series. The specified printer driver is currently in use.

Failed to remove package hpygid20.inf.

Should I restart and reinstall anyway?

HP Recommended

@mamajenedesigns,

As I understand you are having issues uninstalling the printer software, don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Since you are getting an error message that the specified printer drivers are currently in use, so I would suggest here is to close all the programs and then restart the computer, printer and then follow the steps once again to uninstall and reinstall the printer software. 

If the issue persists, let's try to do a root level uninstall and reinstall.

· First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

· Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.

· Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

· Restart your computer.

· Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

· Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

· Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".

· Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says, “Unknown device”.

· Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.

· Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

· Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

· Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.

· Now restart your computer again.

· Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.

· Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.

· Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.

· Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.

· Click on this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL61230/mp-147816-1/OJ4650_Full_WebPack_1122.exe to download and install the printer software.

In the connection type window, select “Wireless” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I restarted the computer and tried to remove the drivers again – this time it was able to remove the drivers!

So I removed the drivers and driver package.

And restarted the computer.

Clicked the link you sent me to reinstall drivers.

Setup the printer again.

Printed… and while the print quality report is fine, I won’t print anything else in color.

I literally did NOTHING else that would have changed the color settings. What is going ON???      

In print preview, everything I’m printing is in color! Why is it printing in black and white????

This is the worst printer I’ve ever had! I don’t think I can keep it. It’s terrible!!

:’(“””

HP Recommended

@mamajenedesigns,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region.

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok. If they can't fix it I'll just return it. Here's hoping.

HP Recommended

did you get this issue resovled?  I am having the same problem.... did they take your return if you took it back?  I am so frustrated...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.