Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5740 e-all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Problem: 

I am unable to print from any application but I am able to connect to the printer, print test pages, and scan documents. 

System Setup:

• Windows 10 64bit
  • Firmware version: NPM5CN1830AR
  • Software version: 040.013.1176.1978
  • Printer driver version: 20.80.2.7578
  • Printing wirelessly over home network

Troubleshooting to date:

• I have scanned documents over my home network successfully to my computer.
  • I have connected to the printer web page by typing in the raw ip address in the form of ###.###.#.#
  • I have printed a test page successfully from the printer web page.
  • I have followed the instructions given by NOLA_Chump in this post.
    • This involves a full uninstall and reinstall of drivers 
    • This also includes updating folder permissions
  • I have run the windows printer troubleshooter - no problems detected
  • I have run the HP Print and Scan Doctor - no problems detected
  • I am able to successfully print from another computer - indicating this is a problem with my computer and not the printer or network.
  • I have manually stopped and restarted the Printer spool service 
  • I have turned off all antivirus and firewalls when attempting to print

Notes:

I am at a loss for what could be going on or what setting I need to change. There seems to be an issue between the application and windows sending the information to the printer. Any help is appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@The_Mountain

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's use and install the built-in drivers: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Betty0610,

Thank you for your response. I followed the directions and overwrote my existing printer driver. Unfortunately this did not fix my problem. I am seeing the same behavior as before.

HP Recommended

Do you have any other computer that you can connect the Printer to and check if you can print?

Or, create a local account, download drivers on that and check if you're able to print: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.