Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Once the ink cartridges have been replace, what do I do to make it work again?

HP Recommended

Is the printer currently displaying any error messages or error lights? If so what are they? Additionally you may have to clean the print-heads a few times (up to three) to clear our any dried or clogged ink. 

Let me know! 

HP Recommended

@AlwaysNeon wrote:

The requirement of having a color ink cartridge in HP printers constantly is by no means an effort to extort money, but to prevent damage from occurring to your machine. First, for the printer to be able to perform it's calibrations and corrections, it has to be able to use color ink. If that is not accessible, that could put your printer into an error state or cause more significant hardware damage. 

Speaking of hardware damage, that is the other reason, if you leave the color ink out of the machine for prolonged periods of time, that can lead to the printhead becoming unusable (either clogged or dried out from in use). 

As a long time customer, I must say I find this disappointing. I work in technology, I've setup and managed a great many printers in my career, and to suggest that there is no reliable way to calibrate a printer without color seems wrong. Even if this is true, as a result of some design choices made by your engineers, it still feels like a way to force us to buy more ink.

I hate to say it, but this is likely the thing that forces me to give up on ink and buy a nice hearty laser printer. I hear they somehow manage to print in black and white without tearing themselves apart or breaking.

HP Recommended

If HP Printers MUST have all cartridges filled, current, and installed, then you have a lousy product. I will buy another brand, and a B&W laser printer at that. No more HP for me!!!

Wife bought an HP Photosmart D7100 (against my wishes) for our ski cabin in Tahoe. We don't often print documents up in the mountains, but when we do you can bet they are highly urgent. After a year or so the ink cartridges went out of date! Like MILK or EGGS? Yes, sitting on the shelf, the cartridges went bad. 

So I bought a replacement black cartridge to print out tax documents, but the thing still will not print. There SHOULD be a warning on the box; "This printer requires cartridges that 'expire' after an unknown period of time, and you will be required to replace ALL SIX cartridges before being able to print important documents."

Back in the car for a trip to Reno to buy a Brother laser printer!

HP Recommended

Sorry, company kool-aid aside, it is extortion.

I too work in the tech sector and have repaired many an HP product -when they were repairable.

I foolishly purchased my 6100 becaue it was repalcing a 960Cse (remember those tanks?) as it was faster and, I thouhgt, an okay device. The 960 printed many many b&w pages without the color cartridge full... it has yet to break after over 13 years. Now, my 6100 is out of Yellow and cannot print in b&w.

Funny that the ability is in the manual, but was removed due to 'potential breakage.'

Not a happy customer.

HP Recommended

Dear tmurray,

As an owner of an HP 6100 Printer, I can tell you to buy all 3 color cartridges, because once you replace the yellow, the magenta & cyan will need to be replaced immediately. 

A note to all that is very interesting. This HP 6100 Printer will print without black ink in the cartridge. It will mix the yellow, magenta & cyan inks to make black ink. 

I like HP products but I do not like the HP 6100 Printer! Next time before I purchase a Printer, I will poll my friends first!!!

Kat

HP Recommended

Very disappointed with this product as well! I don't see how printing with only black ink is going to harm the printer when there is no color ink being used. The printer is esentially useless to us because it is almost always out of at least one color of ink. We are often running to the store to buy ink cartridges, which I beleive are incredibly overpriced considering they run out after printing less than 20 or so pages, almost always in black and white. We will be throwing this piece of junk away even though it is less than 6 months old and replacing it with a different brand. I will be sure to warn anyone I know about this and I strongly recommend HP changes these settings. What a waste of consumers' money.

HP Recommended

Because you believe you have explained the reason for the problem doesn't mean you've solved it.  In the future you may want to also inform customers of their options.  

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/articles/us/en/InkUseage.html

HP Recommended

This the idea of a need for color cartridges to be there to protect the print head is an interesting one? I know I had a I think IBM printer that had seperate cartridges from print heads and it did print black and white with out all the colors being filled? But that is only one complaint I have abut this process.

My first issue with this printer, I too am unemployed, so needing a decent printer to print resumes and such I saw this printer for what seemed like a very good price, less than a $100 I beleive. I excited loaded up the cartridges, did the calibration, and printed a couple of copies of my resume. A few and I do mean a few days later I couldn't print, puzzled what could be wrong already? I am sure you know the problem out of ink all ready. I just purchased new black and yellow cartridges, now this was at a retail outlet still those two cartridges, XL ones were $51.88. So lets see your inexpensive printer was actually, just under $200? Not so inexpensive at that. That price is getting into the realm of inexpensive laser printers.

My next complaint is when those first setup cartridges ran out, I went out and replaced all the cartridges. Now here it is only about 3 months later, I have printed maybe a dozen pages, no color pages I think at all, and when I needed to print something this moring nada, again I thought what is wrong have I lost the connection to the printer? No the Yellow was out. Hum seeing how I have not printed color hardly at all, I doubt not even much green, how can I be out of yellow? I suspect that rachetting back and forth calibrating making sure everything is all setup is wasting a lot of ink? I also suspeect that even though I am sure a cartridge needs to breath to let in air to have the ink flow, it is excessive and it just dries up?

I have been ticked off for years about printers in general, **bleep** they are expensive to have and use. I wish I could get away with not even having one, I print so little all things considered. Over my career I have probably bought a dozen of them of all kinds, from old dot matrix through, ink juet, laser all have their points and minuses. But this last bit about replacing cartridges at a pretty high price all things considered is a bit of a disgrace. I don't know what I will do in the future but I along with some of the commenters think you have burned me with this printer for the last time, when it goes belly up I will be investigating your competitors!

HP Recommended

I want to express my disappointment when i need to print my b/w documents but stucked by an empty color cartridge warning. This message prompted in the midnight where it is absolutely not the right time for me to go out to buy a new one. My model is HP Officejet 6700 Premium,  AllInOne.

HP, please give me back this basic feature!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.