Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I use the copy function.  Lay the paper on the screen.  Sleeping beauty will not wake up and copy.

Press any button you like, Zzzzzzzzzz.

No PC involved at all.

Copy Buttons on the panel do nothing.

Must unplug the power and reboot before it does anything at all.

What a friggen waste of money.

Worse, I bought 2 more like this for my customers.

I can't wait until they start calling me with complaints.

Dear HP.  Could we go a little less green and let the printer actually wake up to work?

I don't see a need for it to sleep at all.

You have about a week before I return all 3 of these printers.

I like HP printers, but this one is NOT up to your normal standards.  And, I'm not alone.

HP Recommended

Wondering if you saw the post from 4-6 on this thread.  I am trying it now and will report back in a few days as it took close to 3 for the problem to resurface.

HP Recommended

I tried the static address and it does not make any difference.

Btw. As I mentioned before, I replaced the printer and the new one does exactly the same (well, not exactly, it freezes a bit sooner, after about 1.5 days now).

MD

HP Recommended
  • Is there still no solution to this issue? How do we contact HP about this?
HP Recommended

The solution is:

Stop trying to use it wireless.

Plug in a USB cable or an ethernet cable.

HP Recommended

All,

I have pulled my hair out but found the fix. Do the steps below to turn off sleep mode in the printer firmware till they fix the software (if they ever do). You can also wake the printer by pinging it. ICMP forces the wakeup where the software does not. This is a workaround which may shorten the life of the device and will obviously consume power all the time. Just an FYI

To resolve the problem is by doing the steps below or by deactiving the sleep mode function.

NOTE: Don't change any other settings on the printer cause this will affect the firmware and the printer function.

Workaround
1. Press * and # at the same time.
2. Press 1 , 2 , 4 in sequence
3. Go for underware menu
4. Go to System Menu
5. Look for system mode time out.
6. Set it to 0.

Deactiviting the sleep mode
1. Press * and # at the same time.
2. Press 1 , 2 , 4 in sequence
3. Go for underware menu
4. Go to Scan VDW Manu
5. Activate Sleep mode
6. Set it off or 0.

-Icebugz

HP Recommended

I have connected with a USB cable (after wireless failed) and I still can't wake up my 6500. Pressing the buttons (as worked for other people) does not work with me.

HP Recommended

I finally called HP after struggling with this thru the night. The service rep had us change from plugging into the power strip to plugging directly into the wall. Voila! Power with no sleep.

HP Recommended

IceBugz:

does this really fix the issue?
HP Recommended

@holderofthehorn wrote:

The solution is:

Stop trying to use it wireless.

Plug in a USB cable or an ethernet cable.

ahahah
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.