Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

AN UPDATE

After letting the printer set for about an hour, I stepped in to look at it.  It was ASLEEP, as I suspected it would be.

Please ignore my chat transcript with Karley and her recommendation as it was totally inaccurate.

HP Recommended

Have you downloaded this printer firmware update?  It was just released last week.  It seems to take care of communication issues when using a DSL router/modem.

Also, when the printer is asleep, can you find it by typing its IP address into a browser?

You also may find this tool handy. Run it when the printer is asleep. 

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I have HP 6500, had it for about a two months, previously I had a HP 6450 with the same issue.   I was told over the phone, with the 6450, by HP that this printer is working as designed.  I.E. when the printer goes to sleep, it turns off the wireless.   Normally I can wake it up by pressing any key on the front panel, for the 6500.  On the 6450, it would hang and require a power cycle.  

One interesting note, Kodak ESP 7, my daughter has this one and tried it for a week, it would go into sleep mode but the wifi was still on; does not have this problem, so I guess I will need to switch to Kodak ESP 9 if I want reliable wireless printing.

Again I call support, someone with a Indian accent assisted me and after 7 hours total, I was told by the technician that this is a desgin feature.

Not trying to bash the product but would appreciate HP to fix this issue, instead of ignoring it as an issue.

HP Recommended

This is NOT a feature.  The printer is designed to go to sleep, but wake on network traffic sent its way.  You should not have to physically touch the printer.

Please describe your setup (router type, encryption type, operating system, etc.). 

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Turns out I have two IDs, so sorry for any confusion...

Setup...

Tried with an Netgear wireless router, Linksys Wireless G-router and D-Link router.

Setup Gray Box computers using Windows XP Home and Professional SP3 through Windows 7, 5 different machines.

Static IP assigned to the printer.   The IP is not in the DHCP ranger of the router/dhcp server.

When the failure occurs, I am unable to print, ping or browse.   If a button is pressed th wifi light will illuminate and then the printer is back on the network.

When the failure occurs, the wifi icon on the front is out, as if wifi is off.   If wired there is no problem and everything works great.

HP Recommended

Another update.

The Vista PC can wake it up and print to it but then it is unreach able by anyonelse.

HP Recommended

Well, you could try this firmware update.

Then download and run this utility.  It should tell us what is happening. 

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

PrintDoc...I know you mean well, but this just isn't working! Apparently, HP has absolutely no idea what's going on.

My HP 6500 goes to sleep, and will not wake up...I'll just have to live with that...and never buy another HP product.

BTW, your "firmware update" and "utility" are .exe files...I use a Macintosh!

If you're not speaking for HP, then can we get someone who will speak for HP.

Frankly, I'm fed up!

HP Recommended
If you want to speak to an HP representative, then click on the Contact HP link at the top-left of the page.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

The firmware update seems to be working.   I will contact in a week to let you know if it still does.

Also do you have a way for a MAC OSX user to update the bios, they can't run an exe in native OSx.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.