Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have now owned the HP 6500A printer for about 6+months.  It's been a frustrating experience to say the least.   I bought this printer to replace a HP 6400 ( I think that was the model and was pretty happy with it, but it quit printing black after about 2+ years).  Anyway, I thought it would be a safe buy, but that's not been the case.

I have a MacBook Pro laptop and am using this printer in wireless mode (the same as my other model) and it inadvertently goes to sleep and the only way I can reset everything it to:  1) power off and on the printer, 2) reboot my laptop and/or 3) remove and then readd in the printer on the "print & Scan" utility app on my Mac.

Also, once in a while when I can't get the printer to work, I look on th printer panel and the entire led panel is flashing and has some error that says to power off the computer, etc.  

I have already had this printer replaced once because the printer head kept jamming. 

I just don't have the patience to call the HP hotline again and go through all the problems and the errors.   

I will really research my next printer, because I've now found lots of writeups about these very same type of problems.   

I think it's must be this printer, but don't understand how the previous printer I had worked 2+ years like a champ and since it was the next sequence number up (6400 to 6500 model) how the software could be so different and not work.

HP Recommended

You can turn the sleep mode off with the following steps:

1. Press * and # at the same time.

2. Press 1, 2, and 4 in sequence.

3. Go for under-ware menu (This is the first menu that pops up after enter that sequence).

4. Go to System Menu

5. Look for System Mode Time Out

6. Set it to 0                   

HP Recommended

Huh?  I follow steps 1 & 2 and see NOTHING new pop-up in the display screen.  What's the deal?

HP Recommended

Thanks a bunch, "Student Dickens"!  The settings sequence went exactly as described and the screen says "System Mode - Timeout = 100"  (The little "10" is probably the sequence number.)

The only thing I don't see is what to do after the screen says that.  I've tried waiting several minutes.  I've touched the "OK" and waited.  I finally hit the "Cancel" button and it has returned to the normal screen.  Time will tell if that has locked the unit "On".  I think it will.

Thanks again,  Jim

I want to say Kudos and that I accept this as the solution for my Post.  I'm not seeing where I can click on those options.

HP Recommended

At what point were you able to enter the settings sequence?  The keypad isn't "highlighted" and accessible for me until I go to some other screen that requires it.  

Thanks!

HP Recommended

How did u solve this issue could you please let me know I have had 2 printers now here trying to get one to work 2 different models from HP

HP Recommended

I had this problem since June with 2 different printers. You have to make sure all setting for your modem/router are correct, Mine had to be on wpa2 personal AES.. also something else had to say mix..needed to be on channel 11...

But I think one of the issue's might of been that the wires outside even though things worked,they  look worned and they  are very sensitive to lightening... So after new modem and wires, and making sure all things were set right.... it works. This took me many hours almost every day having people check and recheck.... things... and even though u call cable to have them change things, I saw first hand not everything was changed like its suppose to be...

HP Recommended

HERE, READ THIS. Yall are going to freaking LOVE me and I dont normally leave reviews but NOBODY has posted this or figured it out. i love HP but with this BULL it had me thinking of another company for printers. BUT HERE IS THE SOLUTION!!! if the B word isnt turning on and ur getting the green light at the power cord, its probably asleep. open the printer to where u can change the ink cartridges and LEAVE the B word open. it took my POS a minutes to wake up but it did. If it worked for u speard the word.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.