Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet 7610

Have Officejet 7610, installed new ink cartridge: printer then sez:"printhead appears to be missing, not detected or incorrectly installed". Have replaced newly replaced cartridge,tried again-same message. Turned off & unplugged printer, waited few minuets, rebooted machine and got same above message.  So, is a "printhead" the same as a cartridge? If so, how do I clean it? If the "printhead" is a seperate device, where is it and how do I clean it? Or replace it?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@landkelt

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Officejet 7610. I understand that you are getting Missing or Failed Printhead

Error message, and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  5. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.(I recommend connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet)
  7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  9. The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Click here for the document which you can refer.

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Let me know how you make out. Cheers!

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

sandytechy20, I am experiencing the same problem and have followed your instructions for a number of times.  Two of the times it worked and though I solved it but the next day same Missing or Failed printhead comes up.  Even so the two times that it worked I did the clean head procedure up to third level and only the black is working well.  I even tried a new set of HP cartridges but still no luck.

My guess is that one nozzles of the colours is clogged.  Can you please help me further.

HP Recommended

Hello, @FG_HP7610

Thanks for reaching out! I'd like to help 🙂

Appreciate your efforts in cleaning the print head. If the nozzles of the color cartridge are clogged, the cleaning print head should fix the issue. 

Here are some additional steps to help you solve the issue: http://hp.care/2staT4c 

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I still need help in fixing my problem with the printer

HP Recommended

@baseball13

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.