Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Good day!

For everyone else who are seeking how the thread-starter did the reset on his officejet 8500a to resolve his printer issue, please see the link below:

http://www.out-of-warranty.com/three-ways-to-reset-the-hp-officejet-pro-8500a-e-all-in-one-printers/

Regards.

HP Recommended

I have a blank touchscreen but the power button shows on. I have tried all the reset procedures, unplugging, touchscreen menu (TL, BL, TL, TL) to no avail. When I replug, the power light is still on and the touchscreen is still blank.

This will be HP all in one #2 that died in less than 2 years; it will also be the final HP product

HP Recommended

Does this help: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01817193

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I have tried all of that. I think the issue is the power button will not turn off; therefore when i plug it back in, it thinks it is still on with the same problem.  Blank touch screen, power button stays lit.

HP Recommended

Reset the power supply by unplugging it from both the wall and the printer for 5 minutes.  Make sure the printer is plugged into the wall when you re-connect it - not into a power strip or surge protector.

This may or may not work, but is worth a try...

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I think the problem I found when trying to do the reset was understanding the upper left, lower left, upper left, upper left command.  Getting the blank screen after holding the power button down for 5 seconds is NORMAL.  The next step is to press the upper left area (which is really where the home button normally is), then the lower left (which is where the return button normally is) and then the upper left (home button) twice.  You need to get a feel for where they are before you start this process or it's meaningless.  So turn on the printer and select a function (scan, copy, etc).  See where those buttons are and then begin the resetting procedure.

There is a great video on youtube, albeit in german, that shows the process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfnET-jRXGo

Hope this helps a bit.

HP Recommended

Previously when my printer would not shut down, I have tried the steps listed and was successful in getting the power supply to reset and printer began to work again.  Recently in the middle of print job the printer ceased and the display light went out.  power supply stayed on.  I have worked through the recommendations listed on HP and the sequence listed on the forum.  Power light will go off when power supply is unplugged, once plugged in the wall outlet and printer power light is on, however no display light or ability to print.  Any suggestions... I am not sure how to even go about getting additional help.  This is for a low budget not for profit, repair funds are low as well as replacement funds, but we need a printer. 

HP Recommended

Did you reset the power supply by unplugging it from BOTH the wall and the printer for 5 minutes?  Do that.

Also, make sure the printer is plugged into the wall, not into a power strip or surge protector.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended
Thank you. This worked for me previously. No longer works.. I left it unplugged for several days. Then followed instructions online..plugged into wall then printer.
HP Recommended

I need a full reset, I am getting so frustrated with this silly printer!!! It says that I need to "open the print carriage access door, ckear the jam, and then press OK to continue" But there is no jam!! And I have opened every door on the darn thing!! Please Help!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.