12-29-2019 03:28 PM
I just purchased a HP Officejet Pro 6978. It is connected to our wireless network and I've been able to print from a Dell computer and iPad. However, I can't get it to print from a Lenovo Thinkpad. The printer appears under Devices and I can choose it to print from. However, the document just sits in the queue and says it is "printing". This computer also gets "printer out of paper" messages, even when the paper tray is full.
My husband uses this computer for business and needs to be able to print.
What can I do?
Thanks for your help.
12-31-2019 06:24 PM
Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.
- Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network.
- This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. So, the PC should be on the 2.4GHz network.
- If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue
Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.
If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.
Clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers
- In Windows, search for and open Programs and features
- Select your HP Printer
- Select Uninstall
- In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers
- In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’
- Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
- Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)
- Click on the “Drivers” tab
- Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom
- Select Ok
- Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows
- Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.
Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.
Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee