Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6960
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I already become crazy performing printheads clean ups. Every time the printer is not working for a period of one day or more the black ink printhead does not print, therefore I have to  perform  the printheads maintenance using the three maintenance level available in order to get the printer back on track. I have laready replaced the ink cartdriges and the situation persist. On my previous printer an Officejet 6500 never experienced something like this!!!!!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Efrapal,

Welcome to HP Support Community,

This looks like a possible hardware failure with the printhead or the printer itself. However, I would suggest you try these steps here: 

Let's start off by updating the printer firmware. If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to install the latest firmware update on your printer from our HP support website, using this link. Alternatively you can also try to update the printer firmware directly from the printer control panel.

For more details on how to update, please use this link: HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to do a hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

You may also refer to the steps suggested in this support document - Click here

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would personally suggest this could be an issue either with the printhead or the printer itself.

I would personally suggest you contact our HP support team for further assistance. 

HP Support team can be reached on www.hp.com/contacthp

I'm sure they should be able to go ahead and address your issue quickly.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My Office Jet pro 6960 has just stopped printing  Blank sheets emerge Only just changed ink cartridges Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

@RodChal, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Use HP compatible ink cartridges

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Check the estimated ink levels

On the printer control panel, touch the Ink Level Indicator icon . The control panel displays estimated ink levels. Replace any low or empty cartridges.

Clean the printhead

1. From the printer control panel, open the Setup  menu.

2. Open the Printer Maintenance menu.

3. If necessary, open the Tools menu, and then touch Clean Printhead.

4. If the print quality is unacceptable, touch Clean Again to continue the next level of cleaning. If necessary, repeat these steps for the third cleaning cycle.

Also, perform step 9 mentioned in this document.

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic Page

2. Open the Reports or Tools menu.

3. Touch Print Quality Report.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i have the same problem and i have seen a couple of threads in this forum.  the printhead is clogged.  not the cartridge, but the actual printhead.  you have to clean/flush it out.  you can find help on youtube.

HP Recommended

@jonesmarland

Welcome to HP support community.

Clean the printhead

2. Open the Printer Maintenance menu.

3. If necessary, open the Tools menu, and then touch Clean Printhead.

A test page prints.

Example of the printhead cleaning test page

4. Examine the test page.

• If the print quality is unacceptable, touch Clean Again to continue the next level of cleaning. If necessary, repeat these steps for the third cleaning cycle.

• If the print quality is acceptable, touch Done.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

E5-HP Officejet Pro 6960

HP Recommended

@Menahem

Are you experiencing the same issue after cleaning the Printhead?

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.