Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g Model # CM750A
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Officejet Pro 8660 Plus locks up when goes into sleep mode.  Can not wake back up by using touchscreen and power button non-responsive as well.  Only way to power back on is to remove power cord on back and plug back in.  Tried recommendations of plugging directly into wall outlet and also resetting eprint web services but did not help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Pianoskeys16,

Thanks for engaging in the HP Forums! I see by your post that you are experiencing issues with your Officejet printer. I will certainly do my best to help you!

Going through your post, I understand that the printer goes to the sleep mode and does not “wake up” by using the touchscreen or the power button. I would suggest you assign a static IP address and disable the IPv6 to fix the issue. Here are the steps:

•    Obtain the IP address as suggested in my above post and type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.

•    Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.

•    Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)

•    Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.

•    Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

•    Restart the printer and the router and check.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accept as solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Pianoskeys16,

Thanks for engaging in the HP Forums! I see by your post that you are experiencing issues with your Officejet printer. I will certainly do my best to help you!

Going through your post, I understand that the printer goes to the sleep mode and does not “wake up” by using the touchscreen or the power button. I would suggest you assign a static IP address and disable the IPv6 to fix the issue. Here are the steps:

•    Obtain the IP address as suggested in my above post and type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.

•    Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.

•    Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)

•    Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.

•    Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accept as solution and kudos buttons,

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Solution to assign a static IP address working perfectly.  The printer is no longer locking up in sleep mode!!!  My touch screen is working again and I no longer need to pop out the power cord and push it back in the slot to  power up printer.  Thanks so much for your awesome assistance!!!

HP Recommended

@Pianoskeys16,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi I am having the same issues my HP Officejet 8600 Pro is going to sleep and won't wake up. Need to unplug it. 

I have updated the firmware, updated the software. I have it wired thru ethernet. I don't use wireless. This issue started recently like in the last two weeks. I used Windows 10 so I am thinking it has to do with an update to windows. 

I have read thru many solutions but most are for wireless. 

Please help

@Jeet_singh wrote:

@Pianoskeys16,

Good Luck.

HP Recommended

Seems like the issue is overnight. I beiieve it is the IP Address. I have powered off the printer, unplugged from both wall and printer, left for 5 minutes. plugged back into wall outlet and printer. Printer started up once was silent tried to download new firmware says I have the lastest firmware installed.

Went online to EWS Site for my printer. Type in IP Address. Select IPv4 and manually assigned my IP address, gateway etc. 

Looks like it printed a test page. Now I need to wait overnight to see if it loses connection again. I have the printer hardwired so I assume it is the same steps as listed. It seems that when the printer goes to sleep overnight is the issue. I assume it loses the IP Address assigned. Hopefully manually assigning it solves the issue.  IF not I will go to the next step which was to assign DNS server. Any other suggestions let me know. 

HP Recommended

Cby, did you fix the problem? If so, how? Having same problem with my 8600. 

HP Recommended

Would this be your same suggested solution for an 8600 printer connected to the internet wirelessly? 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue.  I want to follow the directions, but my printer is hard wired to my Toshiba Satellite L775 laptop.  What do I do different in your steps to fix the problem?  The HP Print and Scan Doctor could not fix the problem.   I hope your input can.

HP Recommended

Hi Yes My printer is hardwired. I went into the embedded server website.  Under Network settings, under wired, Select Manual IP address input your IP Address, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and Manual Default Gateway to 10.0.0.1, Under DNS configuration under DNS Manual Configuration 

Manual Preferred DNS Server 8.8.8.8.

Manual Alternate DNS Server 8.8.4.4 and then click apply. 

This worked for me and no other issues. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.