Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have a macbook pro 10.9.5 and a macbook air 10.14 and want to wirelessly connect to Officejet Pro 8600 all-in-one printer so I can print and scan to my computer. I can print with the macbook air, but not with the macbook pro. I found that HP no longer supports the 10.14 OS, so I cannot scan any longer from the printer to the laptop. (I used to be able to do so.)

I tried connecting the old macbook pro to the printer (it had connected several years ago flawlessly), but now it will only connect to the fax of the printer. I went through the steps on the macbook pro to delete all previous printers and added a new printer wirelessly; it only picked up the fax piece, not the print or scan side.

I am no tech expert, but so far over the last 20 years, have been able to figure things out with operating and connecting devices, but this one stumps me. I guess it could be hp discontinuing support for the apple system...any ideas out there?

Any help will be very much appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

HI @janieben

A warm welcome to HP Community!

We might be able to resolve the issue by setting up the printer with Apple AirPrint. Here is how to do it:

Please ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with it's software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint or Secure AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print and scan.

If you still not able to scan to computer using the printer control panel display then try enabling Scan to Computer on HP Utility:

1.) On your Mac, click Finder, click Applications, click the Hewlett-Packard or HP folder, then double-click HP Utility. (If HP Utility is not available, download and install the install HP Utility from here

2.) Under Scan Settings, click Scan to Computer, then make sure the Enable Scan to Computer check box is selected.

3.) Try to scan.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.