Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I am running Mac OSX leopard (10.5.8) and just bought the officejet pro 8600.  Everything seems to work great except I can't figure out how to print on two sides.  The option isn't allowed in page setup

screen capture

I have checked the settings on the printer and can't see anything to indicate how to switch on the option for double-sided printing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please follow the steps below to configure the driver for automatic duplex printing:

1. Verify the duplex-printing accessory has been installed properly. To verify this open the System Preferences and go to Print & Fax. Open the print queue of your printer. Click on Printer Setup and from the tab menu choose Driver. Verify the box next to HP Two-sided Printing Accessory (Duplexer) is checked.

2. On the File menu, select Print. The Print window appears.
NOTE: The Print window might be minimized. Click the blue triangle next to the printer name to see all available settings.

3. In the expanded Print window you will find next to Copies the checkbox for Two-Sided. Check the box.
NOTE: If the checkbox does not appear within the specific application print dialog, skip this step.

4. To select the binding type click the lowest selection box listed as the name of the program (e.g. TextEdit)
Will appear as Copies & Pages within Microsoft Office applications.

5. Select Layout from the drop-down menu.

6. Set the Two-Sided option as Long-Edge binding (Portrait), or Long-Edge binding (landscape).

You may save the settings for future use by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset...

Please let me know of any problem,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please follow the steps below to configure the driver for automatic duplex printing:

1. Verify the duplex-printing accessory has been installed properly. To verify this open the System Preferences and go to Print & Fax. Open the print queue of your printer. Click on Printer Setup and from the tab menu choose Driver. Verify the box next to HP Two-sided Printing Accessory (Duplexer) is checked.

NOTE: The Print window might be minimized. Click the blue triangle next to the printer name to see all available settings.

3. In the expanded Print window you will find next to Copies the checkbox for Two-Sided. Check the box.
NOTE: If the checkbox does not appear within the specific application print dialog, skip this step.

4. To select the binding type click the lowest selection box listed as the name of the program (e.g. TextEdit)
Will appear as Copies & Pages within Microsoft Office applications.

5. Select Layout from the drop-down menu.

6. Set the Two-Sided option as Long-Edge binding (Portrait), or Long-Edge binding (landscape).

You may save the settings for future use by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset...

Please let me know of any problem,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks!  This has really helped.  The steps weren't entirely accurate for my system, though, so I'm updating them below.

1. Verify the duplex-printing accessory has been installed properly. To verify this open the System Preferences and go to Print & Fax. Open the print queue of your printer. Click on Printer Setup and then click on info. From the tab menu choose Driver. Verify the box next to HP Two-sided Printing Accessory (Duplexer) is checked.

(needed to click on info to get driver tab)

4. Select two-sided printing from the drop down menu of "Copies and Pages." Click "print both sides".

( there was no check box by the "copies and pages' selection and I hadn't seen the "two-sided" option in the drop down menu before)

HP Recommended

Hi

I recently setup the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus with my MacBook OSX version 10. The two-sided printing facility has been set up on the system preferences ok but I don't have a Preset option to save the Long-Edge binding facility when I file > print. There basically isn't a drop down arrow to then save that change to Long-Edge binding. So it just keeps defaulting to the two sided option as 'Off'. I can show you a screen grab if it's possible to add an attachment to this?

There is a collated box to tick and it looks like there should be a two sided box next to that. 

Can you help? Please?

Many thanks!

HP Recommended

I've re-installed the driver twice, re-booted the laptop just in case, and still no menu to select two sided printing. .  Running Mac OS 10.8.2  I've gone into Systems Preferences per the previous posts - my HP 7700 gives me the options for the two sided printing, however, the 8600 does not even give me the setups.  I did register for ePrint, and I have gone into the settings menu there too - I see no options for two sided prining.  One reason we bought the 8600 is for this feature.  Thanks.  Tom

HP Recommended

Using MacOS X software (with Microsoft Word), following the guidance found on this site, and still can not find an option to print both sides.  I know how to change settings to MSWord and print odd or even, then back into printer for the opposite.  However, I only have a "Collated" check box option (i.e., no "Print both sides" option) on the "PRINT" pop-up.  Am I missing something?

HP Recommended

How are you connecting the printer to the computer?

Did you install the printer's driver through Apple Software Update?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Can't rememeber which came first - the HP Officejet Pro 8600, or the iMac computer.  Seems like the printer driver would have been installed by the Apple Software.  An Apple Software Update?  Don't know.  I assume so, as I always download any/all updates.  btw, this printer/computer setup is wireless.  Thank you for your time.  I guess this is over my head.

HP Recommended

It sounds like you are using AirPrint to connect to the computer.  All you should need to do is download and install the printer's driver.  Open Print and Scan.  Delete the 8600 that is in the list.  Click on the + button.  Select the 8600.  Next to Use, click the drop down and select the 8600 driver.  That should point the printer to the right driver to use to get duplex printing.  Let me know what happens.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Can't print duplex  on my Officejet Pro 8600 with my macbook pro 2013. I have lion 10.8  What I have done so far:

1. I looked at the settings and it only offers me 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 but nothing else via webpage. My mac under print and scan does not offer me anything.  I had to go to the webpage settings.

2. I deleted the printer and added it again and nothing still.

What have I missed possibly?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.