Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Has anyone come up with why this is happening?  The tray has worked just fine for three months and suddenly only goes half way in.  What piece is interfering with it closing

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem as I attempted to install paper and initialize the printer for the first time.  Very frustrating. 

HP Recommended

I solved my problem! Must have been very tired...HP engineered the tray to go at the very botton of the unit below the slide out that can be pulled out to catch the paper output...not in the opening above the slide out. You can't put things in wrong because HP fixed it so you cant:smileylol: That's a good thing because the tray can't really be put in incorrectly.  Everything is now working fine and so now I am happy. 

HP Recommended

I've got a great solution!  Mine was doing the same.  When I pulled out the tray and turned it over, I noticed that if I released the blue Legal Paper dohicky, the tray slid in perfectly! Viola!

HP Recommended

yes took me only 4 hours to figure that out.To the tec experts /hp expert  ... you forget that we don't spend our time figuring out  hp  products as you do ,I find some of the remarks smart a**  in a way that  you can't be called on.And you forget that when we start searching online we are already aggravated and frustrated.Lose the manual or whatever that tells you what to say and pretend you are the person needing help.This printer is fast and smooth but the product design is and can be  frustrating........... to those that still don't know how we got the tray in I'll try to explain.

when I pulled out my tray to load paper i grasped it  in left side placing my fingers on bottom of tray and thumb on middle top left side tray .In doing so I released the blue pull  on the INSIDE of the  tray ,this  extended my tray making it LONGER to fit LEGAL paper.In order to shorten the tray you must push/compress the blue pull/button to shorten paper back to normal paper size.then it will slide back in  easily. I'll post image  as I am a visual learner.

May not solve everyone's problem but hope it helps some

HP Recommended

1.jpg

HP Recommended

2 (2).jpg

HP Recommended

worked perfectly

HP Recommended

You are so right.  I am sure more than 80 people...others just got frustrated and gave up!  Ugh.

After a couple hours of wrangling, I flipped it on its back and then wiggled tray out then reinserted.  Something about taking weight of printer off tray parts, maybe?

HP Recommended

Yes!  That did it!  Duh - I didn't notice that I had somehow lengthened the tray, apparently by pressing on the blue Legal release button.  Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.