Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 Premium
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

For some reason, all my devices (2 laptops, one desktop and Iphones (airprint) have lsot connectivity to my Officejet Pro 8600 Premium printer.

I had this printer for several years and it has operated flawlessly until now.

• I've verified by looking in the router that the printer is conected to the network
  • I've recycled the router and the printer numerous times
  • I've unplugged the printer for 5 minutes to hard restart it
  • I've removed the printer from all my computers.
  • When I try to reinstall the printer on the computers, they will not detect the printer even though I've verified it is connected to the network
  • I tried installing the printer using the IP address. It still didn't detect the printer
  • I tried running the HP Scan Doctor and it will not detect the prescence of the printer either.
  • One time, after restarting the router and printer I got it to print a test page but nothing after that.

Please offer any other suggestions

New information:

I manually installed drivers for this printer onto my desktop computer.

Then I submitted a print request to the printer. Of course, nothing happened. But the printer showed a print request in Que.

I then unplugged the power cord to the printer, waited several minutes and then plugged the power cord back in.

The printer started up automatically and after it went through  it's wake up function, it printed my document.

Tried printing the document again after waiting a minute or so, nothing happened.

Unplugged the power chord and plugged it back in, document printed.

This only appears to work with the desktop computer which has an Ethernet connection to the router, not the wireless connection that the laptops have.

This is a crazy work around. Would still like to find out why the printer won't respond normally.

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @larry_o ,

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts. 🙂

Perform a network defaults from the printer's settings, and then connect the printer to the network. Once done, Follow this video and assign a static IP address and check if it works. 🙂

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @larry_o ,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Barachiel is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

Did you try to update the firmware of the printer?

In the meantime, please try the steps mentioned below:

Many HP printers released in 2010 and later support Web Services, cloud based printing services that include ePrint, printer apps, firmware updates, and content that you can print directly from the control panel. These printers can use a direct Internet connection to find and install updates.

NOTE:

Supported printers must connect to a wireless or wired network with an active Internet connection to install updates. If the printer connects to the computer with a USB cable, this update method is not available. Continue to the method to download firmware from the HP website.

1. Navigate to the printer update feature. Menu names and icons vary by printer.

• Printers with an ePrint button or icon: Touch or press the HP ePrint icon or button ( or ), touch or press Settings or Setup if necessary, then touch or press Product Update or Check Product Updates.

• Printers with text-based menus: Select the Setup, Service, or Settings menu, select Preferences, Printer Maintenance, or Tools if necessary, then select Web Services, Printer Update, or LaserJet Update.

2. If you are prompted to sign up or accept terms of service, follow any on-screen instructions to enable Web Services and setup automatic updates. This procedure sets up the printer's Internet connection so it can receive updates.

3. If the printer does not automatically start the update process, select Check for Updates or a similar menu to start the update.

Let me know how that pans out. 🙂

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help. 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for the reply and suggestion.

I tried to do as you suggested, I pressesd the button on the printer but it came back and said it could not connect. However, I then used the unplug/plug in the power cord method as I mentioned in my original post. When I pressed the button again, it conected to the internet. I selected the printer update option and it came back saying the latest updates were already installed. please note, the auto update selection is ON.

Is it possible that auto update already updated the firmware and this could be the cause of my issues?

Prior to about a week ago, wireless and airprint worked fine.

Thanks again for your assistance

HP Recommended

Hi @larry_o ,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

follow these steps to reset the printer.

Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Wait at least 60 seconds.

Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Once done, follow the steps to run the wireless set-up wizard.

Press the wireless button on the printer.

Scroll down to wireless setup wizard.

Follow on-screen instructions.

Keep me posted 🙂

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Complied with your recommendations.

Printer is connected to the router via WiFi. This has always been the case. 

I can go into the router to view what is connected. It shows the printer as having an active wireless connection.

it also shows my laptop computers with an active wireless connection. And my desktop with an Ethernet connection (note, there are no Ethernet or USB cables connected to the printer)

I have rebooted the router, printer and computers numerous times. 

The issue remains, the computers are not communicating via WiFi with the printer. 

The only way I can get the printer to work is to:

submit a print request from my desktop computer.

this computer is connected to the router via Ethernet cable

Go into control panel, printers and right click on the 8600 icon and request to see what is printing. the print request I requested will show up as being in que

I then have to unplug the printer power cable and wait for a minute. 

When I plug the power cable back in, the printer will go through it’s normal wake up process. 

At that point, the print request I made previously will print., but nothing else afterwards.

if I try the above procedure using a laptop with a wireless connection, nothing will print. 

Thank you for your patience 

HP Recommended

Hi @larry_o ,

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts. 🙂

Perform a network defaults from the printer's settings, and then connect the printer to the network. Once done, Follow this video and assign a static IP address and check if it works. 🙂

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK, Sucessfully changed to a manual IP adress per your instructions and the video you sent. Printed a new network configuration page from the printer control panel to verify the change.

The Network summary page on the Embedded Web Server page "says" the printer is connected.

No change in getting something to print from the computer.

However, I saw something in the video that I had not noticed before.

While the WiFi and Airprint symbols in the printer control panel display are illuminated (blue), the WiFi blue light to the left of the display is NOT illuminated, nor has it been throughout this troubleshooting process.

I had'nt noticed it before because of the black face of the control panel.

I'm guess this means something has failed internally??

HP Recommended

Hi @larry_o ,

Thank you for responding,

Good to know that the printer is now connected. 🙂

Follow this link, and install the full feature driver software and check if it works. 🙂

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I believe you may have misunderstood my last post.
While the printer is shown to be connected to my wireless network, it still CANNOT be detected by my computers.
As I stated , in my post, the “blue” WiFi light next to the control panel display is NOT illuminated, indicating there is no WiFi connection available.
I’ve tried everything except the “hard reset” I’ve read about in other posts.should I try this , and if that doesn’t fix my issue, should I the assume that a component in the printer has failed and it’s time to replace the printer?
Thanks for all of your assistance.
HP Recommended

Hi @larry_o ,

Thanks for the quick reply.

follow these steps to reset the printer.

Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Wait at least 60 seconds.

Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.