Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Officejet Pro 8600 prints test page ok, but won't print anything from My Documents or a receipt from an online purchase.  A screen pops up with "Send fax" in upper left corner, with boxes for "to", "add cover page", "add scan", and "settings".  There is no error message or number.  Tried removing and reinstalling printer and drivers.  Worked fine for 2 months, then started this.  It is not connected to a phone line, and has never been used for faxing.  It is connected to the computer network wirelessly.  Tried connecting to network with cord--also not able to print.  Any help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I assume the fax printer is set as default, download and run HP Print and Scan Dr utility from link below.

www.hp.com/go/tools

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

I assume the fax printer is set as default, download and run HP Print and Scan Dr utility from link below.

www.hp.com/go/tools

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your help--I was pulling my hair out, and I'm ALREADY bald!  We really enjoy this machine!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Glad to know that the issue has been resolved.

HP Recommended
I used the print and scan doctor to check my machine out, and also to change my default to printer from fax, and it still won 't print. It keeps acting like I 'm trying to fax. I have never used the fax, and never had it hooked up to a phone line - - this is a new problem. Never had a problem with this before. Can someone help??
HP Recommended

Hi,

Are the standalone functions of the printer working like printing self test page and making a copy?

HP Recommended
Yes, they are.
HP Recommended

I changed the ink in my printer and now it won't print.  When I try to print I get a sceen with options to scan or fax.  When I look at the devices on my computer it shows "fax - HP Officet Pro 8600 (network).  I have never used the device to fax, only print.

I tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor and got a message "Unsuccessful communicating with your selected product".  I turned of the printer, turned off the router and still the Print and Scan Doctor can't communicate with the Printer.

Please tell me how to get the printer back to a printer not a fax.  

Many Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi WaterWitch,

Right click on printer and select set as default printer and then try to print again.

HP Recommended

OK.  I accessed the tools site and ran that program and still getting a FAX vs. Printer icon.   Any suggestions.  I removed the old fax Printer first....then reran the install.  Really frustrated that this issue continue to be out there. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.