Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So last week up updated to a 400mbps internet service from Comcast/Xfinity, which included a new router.  Since then, my printer won't wake up from sleep mode.  I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work.  When it first falls asleep, it's fine, but when it's been asleep for a long period of time, such as overnight, I can't get it to turn back on.

I've searched these forums and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, the device software, I've updated the firmware, using the HP Scan & Print Doctor, I've assigned a manual IP address, and nothing.  I imgaine it has to do with the new router Comcast installed last week.  

Any suggestions?

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hey there! @beradorbebad, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Community!

Try the steps recommended below.

Turn off the printer's Sleep Mode feature, and then select the option for the
shortest time. After the printer has been inactive for this period of time, the printer
will go into low-power mode. To configure this feature, touch (eco
button) on the printer’s control panel display, touch Sleep, and then touch the
Off option from the list.

Refer the printer user guide for more information. Click Here

Note: Refer page 11 for more information.

Also, try restoring the network settings to default and check if it helps.

To reset the printer's network settings
1. Touch (right arrow), touch Setup, and then touch Network. Touch Restore
Network Defaults, and then select Yes. A message appears stating that the
network defaults have been restored.
2. Touch (right arrow), touch Setup, select Reports, and then select Print
Network Configuration Page to print the network configuration page and verify
that the network settings have been reset.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Please try performing a semi-full reset on the printer.

As the steps to perform a semi-full reset is confidential and dedicated to your printer.

I will share the steps through a private message, please watch your inbox for more information.

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Responded to the private message

HP Recommended

Still no resolution

HP Recommended

@beradorbebad,

As you still have issues after trying out the steps.

It sounds like a hardware issue with the printer.

Please contact HP support for servcie options.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@A4Apollo wrote:

Hey there! @beradorbebad, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Community!

Try the steps recommended below.

Turn off the printer's Sleep Mode feature, and then select the option for the
shortest time. After the printer has been inactive for this period of time, the printer
will go into low-power mode. To configure this feature, touch (eco
button) on the printer’s control panel display, touch Sleep, and then touch the
Off option from the list.

There is no OFF option under Sleep in my HP OJP8600.

How do I disable sleep mode?

HP Recommended

same issue

HP Recommended

@corndog1836

I'll be happy to assist you!

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you please help me with the exact model name or the product number of the printer and the operating system of the computer?

How is the printer connected? (USB/Wireless)

Keep me posted.

Welcome to the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I am not the original poster but have the same problem the original poster and others all over this site have with the HP Officejet 8600 N911 e-All-in-one Printer. It's very simple to describe, which I'm done like so many others have already done before. 

This is the same problem I've seen posted by dozens of users and to my knowledge, no one has successfully resolved it. It is my strong suspicion that there is a firmware or hardware design flaw that causes it but HP has done nothing but send users on wild goose chases by having them change settings that do absolutely nothing to fix their problems and waste their time.  Try this, try that, oh and try that. Half the time the support people here don't even know what settings this printer actually has and tells users to turn off things like sleep mode when the option doesn't even exist. If that was an option, don't you think people wouldn't done that already? Come on! This only adds to the frustration of the problem. Users shouldn't have to go to such lengths to make a $300 printer do what it's suppose to do. YOU KNOW, LIKE PRINT YOUR STUFF!!!!

I've owned HP printers for 20+ years and have never had such a problem with a device or its support. I shouldn't have to turn off my printer and turn it back on every time I need to print something. Come on HP! It's time escalate this issue to someone higher up in the tech support area there who can actually fix it and quit wasting the time of dozens of your faithful but frustrated users with suggestions that have already been tried and failed over and over. It's time to own this problem and fix it once and for all.

PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!

HP Recommended

The problem is exactly as the original posted listed:

Our printers are connected to a wired or wireless network. The printer is forced to go to sleep after a maximum of 15 minutes. The are only 3 options for sleep settings on this model of printer. It can be set to sleep in 5, 10 or 15 minutes. There is no OFF option. After an unknown period of time (several hours at least) of the printer sitting in sleep mode, the printer completely stops responding to print job requests and the input/display panel stops accepting all input. All the user sees is a black display and a flashing power button light. In essence, after several hours, the printer goes into a deep sleep and can't be awoken by any means other than by powering it completely off and then turning it back on.

This problem needs to be escalated to an engineer level technician for resolution. Shot-gunning setting changes isn't gonna do it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.