Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

@corndog1836
Thank you for posting back. 

I understand you are in need of support,

And to help you out, I'm sending out a Private message with the escalation process instructions,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Beradorbebad: Did you ever get your problem fixed? I’m having the very same problem with my OJ  Pro 8600 and it started occurring right after AT&T installed a new modem! Interesting that our situations are very similar.

My printer is connecting to WiFi just fine, so I don’t see how it could be a network connection problem. I’ve downloaded all the update software/drivers/etc on the HP support site for the 8600. Have no idea what else to do!

HP, you’ve got to help us—there are too many people having the same problem!! Could this have something to do with a Windows 10 update?

HP Recommended

Ditto everything you said! Did HP ever solve your problem? If so, DO TELL! Txs.

HP Recommended

This is what you can expect from HP on your issue. Below is the message I received during my attempts to escalate the problem here.

HP is no longer the company Bill and Dave founded. After working at HP and being a loyal customer for over 30 years, this is the support you can expect from them now. If it wasn't so serious it would be laughable. Goodbye HP.

"Hello,

I regret to inform you that your unit has reached End of Support Life, which means that HP no longer has access to recovery discs, hardware or software for your system. If you prefer you can contact either our Home & Home Office Group or our Commercial Department in your area to see what current models may fit your needs. You also have the option of taking it to a local repair shop in your area.

We apologize for the inconvenience. 

-HP Social Media Support "

HP Recommended

VailEnterprises, holy s***! That’s horrible. Company/product loyalty to longtime customers went out the door years ago and it’s wrong. 

I actually fixed my prob last night. Will describe in case it may help you and others. My original prob was the printer (Officejet Pro 8600) not automatically waking up from sleep to print from my PC or my Apple mobile devices. The prob started after AT&T installed a new modem. They told me I could keep the old network name/password as long as I didn’t hit the reset button on the back of the modem. But apparently, the new modem—with a different default IP address than the previous modem—confused the printer. The printer would connect to the network, but seemed (perhaps) to lose the IP address from the modem when it went to sleep. Once I turned off the printer and turned it back on, it would reconnect with the modem and print.

So last night, I reset the router by pressing the reset button on the back of the modem, then through the printer display, I told it to set up a new wireless connection. It told me I already had one, did I really want to redo it. I hit yes. I then entered the network name and password from the new router’s label and the set up went smoothly. Now when I send something from my PC, iPad Pro or iPhone 11 Pro Max to the printer, it immediately wakes up from sleep mode and prints it like it did prior to the modem replacement. 

I hope this helps you and/or others! 

HP Recommended

UPDATE 1-16-2020: My apologies to all; I just THOUGHT I had fixed the problem! A few days later after posting the reply below, the problem began happening again! I then removed all printer software and reloaded, but the problem still occurred. I’ve seen numerous posts about this issue, saying it began following a router replacement. So IMO, this prob definitely has something to do with communication from the new modem. HP doesn’t seem too concerned because from the many posts I’ve read, their recommended solutions have not worked. I, therefore, reluctantly dumped my HP printer and bought an Epson all-in-one. Has been working like a charm with the new modem. So much for being a 25+ year loyal HP customer.

————

Beradorbebad: Our problem was virtually the same with the same printer. I was able to fix my prob last night. Will describe in case it may help you and others.

My original prob was the printer (Officejet Pro 8600) not automatically waking up from sleep to print from my PC or my Apple mobile devices. The prob started after AT&T installed a new modem. They told me I could keep the old network name/password as long as I didn’t hit the reset button on the back of the modem. But apparently, the new modem—with a different default IP address than the previous one—confused the printer. The printer would connect to the network, but seemed (perhaps) to lose the IP address from the modem when it went to sleep. Once I turned off the printer and turned it back on, it would reconnect with the modem and print.

So last night, I reset the router by pressing the reset button on the back of the modem, then through the printer display, I told it to set up a new wireless connection. It told me I already had one, did I really want to redo it. I hit yes. I then entered the network name and password from the new router’s label and the set up went smoothly. That’s all it took. Now when I send something from my PC, iPad Pro or iPhone 11 Pro Max to the printer, it immediately wakes up from sleep mode and prints it like it did prior to the modem replacement. 

I hope this helps you and/or others! 

HP Recommended

I hope your luck holds.

I had similar experiences and tried what you did. I thought I had it fixed a bunch if times only to find out that if I waited long enough, (usually about 48 hours) the  printer would completely stop responding again. Nothing works once it sits in sleep mode for this as yet undetermined period of time but it's totally dead accept for a flashing green power button. I suspect your printer will stop working again if left unused for a couple to three days,

My whole argument against this being a network problem like so many people continue to believe is that if it was indeed only a network problem, then I should be able to wake the printer by accessing the printer's display panel. This is not the case however. When my printer goes into this "deep sleep" if you will, it responds to absolutely  no user input at all from any source including its own touchscreen display panel.

I hope yours it keeps working, congrats to you.

Take care...

HP Recommended

i need the instructions to do a full factory reset on my HP 8600 premium since these instructions are specific to each printer. will you please private  message me. thanks i am having the same issue stated in this thread 

HP Recommended

To anyone using Comcast/XFinity, the problem where an OfficeJet Pro 8600
becomes a zombie and will not wake up is DIRECTLY attributable to its
interaction with Comcast's router. I too had this problem immediately
after switching from Frontier to Comcast (under duress, the house I
moved to is outside of Frontier's service area).  Prior to the move the

printer was operating flawlessly on a home network supported by a

Frontier router/WiFi access point.

I'm a Linux sysadmin, and my long term goal was to use my own Linux-
based firewall/router, with the Comcast router in "Bridge Mode", but
couldn't get to that project for a couple of months.  When I finally did
this, all my problems with the printer went away.  This is confirmed by
a rather terse reply from HP support saying (paraphrased) "We don't
support Xfinity-based networks" with no other explanation.

So the problem seems to be how a Comcast/XFinity router interacts with
the printer, likely with the Bonjour protocol, and something in that
interaction crashes the printer's software/firmware.  If you power-cycle
the printer it stays up for a few hours, but at some point, something
that the Comcast router does causes the printer's software to hang.  It
could be a bug in the printer's TCP/IP stack, or a bug in the router,
we'll probably never know.

So what does this mean for the average user?

Unfortunately, setting up and administering a Linux firewall/router is
non-trivial, and doing it wrong will leave your home network exposed to
intrusion and hacking, so I cannot recommend you do this (and would

strongly dissuade you from doing this) unless you are very experienced in this area.

A second alternative is to purchase a router with a built-in firewall
and place it between the Xfinity router and your internal home network,
with all your computers and devices on the "inside" of the secondary
router's network.  If it's properly configured, the internal network
shouldn't be aware of the Comcast router, so things should work.  I
haven't tried this, so YMMV.  There are pitfalls here too but they're
less dangerous than running your own firewall directly connected to
the Internet.

If you're not willing or unable to set up an internal network, you're
probably out of luck.  HP isn't talking about why there's an
incompatibility and without a lot of packet-level debugging we're not
likely to find an alternative solution.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the state of things at
present.

HP Recommended

How ironic Jhg_1 that you posted this message. About a week ago I stopped using bridge mode on my Xfinity router and began allowing the Asus RT-AC1900 Wireless router I have to assign my ip addresses again like before and my printer problems stopped. My printer goes to sleep for several days and wakes up immediately when I print now that the piece of **edited Xfinity unit is no longer my DHCP server. If others are having this problem and aren't using Xfinity for their Internet, service, they too may also wish to install their own 3rd party wireless router in wireless router mode (not as an access point with no DHCP support) and maybe it will solve their problems.

Xfinity wireless modems suck ass and have terrible range anyway, so for those of you looking for a wireless router with far better range and performance that may also solve your printer problems, I'd look closely at Asus routers. I've tried almost every brand out there and have found Asus to be the best by far in range and performance. 

Happy New Year everyone and thanks for the post jhg_1.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.