Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My printer is not recognizing some, or sometimes all four, of the genuine HP 950XL and 951XL ink cartridges.

I have tried the following troubleshooting steps:

Removed & reinstalled all cartridges multiple times

Removed, cleaned contacts & reinstalled all cartridges multiple times

Removed all cartridges and removed print head assembly and reinstalled print head (including latch down) and reinstalled all cartridges - multiple times.

Performed printer reset procedure (including unplug - wait 60 seconds - plug back in - multiple times.

Downloaded and installed latest drivers and firmware.

Problem still persists!!!

Additional notes:

After performing printer reset, sometimes the printer will not recognize any of the cartridges, and sometimes it will recognize some of the cartridges. When it does recognize some of the cartridges, it is not consistent, meaning that it recognizes different cartridges at different times - i.e. Sometimes it recognizes one, two, or three cartridges.

The data provided by HP's Officejet Pro 8620 toolbox states that the print head health = "Good" 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@stevewei

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Have you tried another set of ink cartridges? If yes, I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team as this could be a hardware issue.

If not, do try.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.