Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have tried to reinstall the 8620 network driver and it can only find the printer initially allowing me to choose it as the one I want to install, but then it never-ever finds it when actually installing the software driver.  I have used HP Print Doctor, followed HP Help threads, turned off firewall and antivirus, disabled startup programs too many times to count. I am trying to re-install the drivers so I can use HP Scan Extended again with the 8620 so I can scan to a searchable PDF. It used to work as I have several large searchable PDF documents that I scanned double-sided with HP Scan Extended and the 8620, but it stopped working somewhere along the line, and now I can't get it working again.  The driver is actually installed, and I can print, and I can scan photos and documents, but need HP Scan Extended to get a searchable PDF.  But when I execute HP Scan Extended now, it only shows my older Officejet Pro 8600, not the 8640, which has the automatic (not manual) double-sided ADF. The advice was that if I reinstall the full features 8620 software, HP Scan Extended would then recognize it, but I just can't get it reinstalled, even though it works otherwise. It is a wonderful capability, if I can only get it to work again.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RichThomas, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Try to use the standalone link for HP Scan extended.

Make sure HP Scan extended is completely uninstalled from your PC.

Go to devices and printer and check if the old printer is listed, if yes, remove the same.

Once done, click here to download HP Scan extended.

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

If the issue persists, create a new user account on your PC and try installing the application.

To know how to create a new user account, refer to this document.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried all the above to no avail. I removed my older printer, any remnants of the 8620, helper, and HP Scan Extended. Tried reinstall even with a brand new user - same result. The installation program initially sees the printer, allowing me to pick it as the one I want to setup, but then goes into "Installing" mode, and eventually just times out.  I can hit retry, but that never works either.  I tried all the alternative options and nothing works. I eventually have to kill the installer with task manager as there is no Exit button.

HP Recommended

I have seen a lot of people who have been able to work through this in different ways.  Also saw "the latest 1903 update fixed it".  

I am on Windows 10 1909 and still had the same issue.  I did everything everyone else had posted across a dozen different threads.  Nothing worked.  Then I did something that shouldn't have worked and it did.

I uninstalled everything.  Then when I ran the HP full feature software install I chose "Add printer later".  I finished the software install.  Then I opened the desktop printer icon up and selected "Add a New Printer".  It added without issue.

Up until I did that I was able to run the install and it would see my printer.  Sometimes it would even add the printer, but Windows always reported there was no driver installed.  I did the registry fixes, smart printer app, and every other item I saw on every thread.

This may not work for everyone, but I wanted to share it for those it may help.  I also wanted to make it known that this is still an issue even with Windows 10 1909 update installed.  I also had the issue on Windows 8.1, but using printui /t2 /s and removing the driver packages worked for 8.1.  That did not work for 10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.