Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Our HP Officejet Pro 8710 has randomly quit printing in color. It also will not copy in color. I have deleted all drivers and printer programs and reinstalled them, I have factory reset the printer, I have checked EVERYWHERE in EVERY program (and on the printer) for some bogus "grayscale only" setting but everything is set to print in color. This happened out of the blue and it will not print in color from ANY device. I have forced updates to the printer and its drivers. What is going on here? I see others have had this problem but no one has solved it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@seralune, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

If the printer is not able to make copies in color, it means it could be a hardware issue. Reinstalling the drivers would not help. Let us try these steps:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Check the estimated ink levels

On the printer control panel, swipe down from the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Ink Level Indicator icon . Replace any low or empty ink cartridges.

Clean the printhead

1. On the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon .

2. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Clean Printhead, and then touch Continue.

4. If the print quality is unacceptable, touch Clean Again to continue the next level of cleaning. Repeat these steps for the third cleaning stage, if necessary.

5. NOTE: If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform all three levels of cleaning again.

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic Page

On the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, touch the Setup icon , swipe up on the display, touch Reports, and then touch Print Quality Report.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@seralune, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

If the printer is not able to make copies in color, it means it could be a hardware issue. Reinstalling the drivers would not help. Let us try these steps:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Check the estimated ink levels

On the printer control panel, swipe down from the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Ink Level Indicator icon . Replace any low or empty ink cartridges.

Clean the printhead

1. On the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon .

2. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Clean Printhead, and then touch Continue.

4. If the print quality is unacceptable, touch Clean Again to continue the next level of cleaning. Repeat these steps for the third cleaning stage, if necessary.

5. NOTE: If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform all three levels of cleaning again.

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic Page

On the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, touch the Setup icon , swipe up on the display, touch Reports, and then touch Print Quality Report.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Followed all suggestions noted below. Still can't print in color from computer screen, but can print color copies from color original placed  on glass  top.  Model HP OfficeJet Pro 8710,  S/N [edit], Product Number J6X78A

HP Recommended

Hi @Paulk11

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Have you tried connecting a USB cable and try printing in color to check if the issue persists?

This seems like an issue with the printer driver on WIn 10 OS with the latest updates. Let us try these steps:

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing in color.

If the issue persists, Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how. Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm very embarrassed. I had inadvertently had the printer set on "grey scale". Once turned off, the printer did print in color. Many thanks for your quick response. Sorry I took up your time.  I wish you well.

HP Recommended

@Paulk11

Glad to know your issue is resolved. If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OMG I think that may have actually worked 😀! I've been trying to fix this for a week. I've tried all the settings, properties & preferences. I have an HP OfficeJet 4650 All-In-One that's only a year or two old and was working fine. A few months ago I switched from an old iMac to a brand new  Dell laptop with Windows 10. Everything's been OK until recently, then out of the blue it stopped printing in color...**bleep** 😠! I'm convinced there is nothing wrong with the printer but I reinstalled the driver anyway which did not work; you couldn't see a color option. I will keep my fingers crossed that this fix keeps working. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.