Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP G72 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

My printer is an Officejet Pro 8710

I commenced printing a document - but after completing the first page, the printing stopped without warning - and the following error message appeared:-

(1) "The printer is not designed to use continuous ink systems. To resume printing, remove continuous ink system and install original HP (or compatible) ink cartridges."

On looking at the Scan Doctor 5.3.1. info about printing problems, I found the following - quote:-

(2) "The ink system can fail if the cartridges in the printer are not installed correctly, if the ink is low or out, or if the cartridges are damaged or not properly vented. Please check the cartridges for any of these conditions.Then reset the printer by powering it off and on again. Clear any error on printer display, then click "Retry". "

This makes no sense to me at all, after what actually happened. In previous instances where the problem was low ink- black or otherwise - the colour involved simply stopped printing, without the nonsensical error message noted above. And I see no evidence of any of the cartridges being damaged or not properly vented.

I tried the solutions recommended by Jeet Singh and posted at https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/oficce-pro-8710-there-is-a-problem-with-the-supply-sys...

I tried removing the cartridges and cleaning the electrical contacts - but this did not help, and I got the same error message (1) as before.

I tried updating the firmware by using the appropriate file - in this case OJP8710_2020A.exe - but then the install failed.

With the printer turned on, I tried the procedure starting with un-plugging the power cord, etc., but this did not work.

Then I found the link to the support document "HP OfficeJet Pro 7740, 8700 Printers - Ink Cartridge Errors" did not work (404 error). The same thing happened when I tried the link to the other support document, "Incompatible Cartridges. This Printer is Not Designed to Use did not work Continuous Ink Systems".

I don’t believe my problem is attributable to any of the causes described in the error messages (1) and (2) detailed above - because these don't explain why the printer just stopped without warning after printing the first page of a document. I could try just getting a new set of ink cartridges - but this would likely just be a waste of time and money.

While I wait to hear from the community about a solution to my problem, I'm going to try re-installing all the software for my printer from scratch, just in case some obscure file corruption problem could be the cause of all this.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You probably have one or more defective ink cartridge.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Well, I installed all the printer software from scratch - and I downloaded/used the most recent version, not what I had before. The install with the new version was simpler - and when finished, showed that two of the three colour cartridges were totally empty, the third one 90% empty, the black cartridge about 50% full. So then it appeared that the empty colour cartridges were the cause of the problem. So then I re-filled the colour cartridges and installed them.  To no effect - the same stupid error messages appeared just like before. And in addition to this, I was getting a false indication of the colour cartridges being empty  or nearly empty, exactly as before - when in fact they had just been re-filled. Then I searched for possible reasons for this and what to do about it. Among other things, I discovered I might have a so-called "Aftermarket Cartridge Lock-Out" problem, possibly caused by a recent "firmware" update.

[removed content]

But rather than rely on such a Youtube video posted by someone I don't know,  I would like to hear direct from someone at HP concerning what to do about this. This is getting bloody annoying from my standpoint and should never have happened in the first place.  My printer is an HP Officejet Pro 8710.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately Valsimot's reply does not help me.  Since posting my original questions, I posted my own reply to them in which I described some additional steps that I took to solve the problem - but this did not help me either.  I also said I would like to hear direct from someone actually working at HP about what to do to get out of trouble. Robert T. Chisholm, Ottawa

HP Recommended

So then I re-filled the colour cartridges and installed them.  To no effect - the same stupid error messages appeared just like before. And in addition to this, I was getting a false indication of the colour cartridges being empty  or nearly empty, exactly as before - when in fact they had just been re-filled. 

You can only refill ink cartridges and expect them to work.

Each ink cartridge has a small electronics integrated circuit ( chip) that records ink level and the printer reads ink level from that chip.

If you have only refilled ink cartridge that is only half job done, the second half is to replace the chip on each cartridge, the printer still reads data from the chip and the printer doesn't know ink cartridge is refilled because data from the chip informs the printer that cartridge(s) is empty.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/OCBESETJET-ARC-Chip-For-HP-8710_62138791347.html?spm=a2700.77... 

My profile on LinkedIn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.