Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8710

I have an Office Jet Pro 8710 that for some reason is broadcasting traffic out on UDP port 1230.  I've looked at the config of the printer through the web interface and all the protocols and services are turned off except 9100 port printing.  If I Google UPD port 1230 it comes back as Periscope.  I have no idea what that is.  Any one have any idea why the printer would be broadcasting out this traffic?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@edbachta, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Are you facing any communication/connectivity issues with the printer on a network?

Which device are you trying to print from?

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any network related issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

Also, Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There are no printing or connectivity issues with the printer.  The Windows firewall logs on some of our workstations are showing a lot of UDP port 1230 broadcasts coming from the IP address of the printer.  I am assuming this is unnecessary traffic.  Why would a printer need need to broadcast UDP traffic out on port 1230?  I would like to know how to turn these broadcasts off?  I did check the printer for firmware updates, and none are available.

HP Recommended

@edbachta

The printer is using a dynamic IP address and hence using multiple ports. You may assign a static IP address to the printer if you wish the printer to use one specific port.

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  2. Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  3. If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
  4. Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  5. Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  6. Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  7. Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

In our environment we use DHCP reservations to set static IP addresses for our printers.  So, the cause of the printer sending out UDP traffic on port 1230 is because the printer is set to use DHCP? Let me test that.  I will set the IP address config to manual and see if I see anymore UDP traffic

HP Recommended

So, setting the printer to a manual static address did not fix the issue.  I'm still seeing UDP port 1230 traffic being broadcast from the printer

HP Recommended

@edbachta

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction with our HP Support team.

I would request you to contact them for further assistance.

Click on this Link to contact HP.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.