Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Unbeknownst to me, my 8710 automatically updated with new firmware recently.  Now, my printer won't recognize remanufactured ink cartridges.  I thought HP learned their lesson from the class action lawsuit a few years ago?  From what I have read online, they forced this change through but without any way to reverse it.   Has anyone had any luck with 3rd party/reman cartridges with "Updated chips" since the new firmware was pushed through?

Oh, the irony....since my printer is way out of warranty status, HP won't support my product if anything happens without charging and arm and a leg, yet they continue to send out changes that restrict how I can use my printer.

To think that I was seriously considering an Epson Ecotank printer before purchasing this HP, but stuck with the Officejet based on past experience and loyalty.   I am seriously regretting my decision now.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Slab747

Thank you for joining the HP Community

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I have two HP8710  printers then they won't recognize any third cartilage. 

HP Recommended

thread mentions issue being brought to team @ HP.  Any resolution.  remanufactured ink cartridge not being recognized.  Any fix?

HP Recommended

I've had the same issue. Is this why? What a disappointment. I never had this issue with my Brother printer.

HP Recommended

Can you have someone reach out to me as well? I'm having the same problem.

HP Recommended

@wardfamily

Thanks for joining HP Community!

Could you please help me with the exact model name or the product number of the printer?

Are you facing this issue after an update?

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8710 that has had the update and it now won't accept an aftermarket cartridge.  I attempted to install a Calidad cartridge.

HP Recommended

@MO2621, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Have you tried checking with a different ink cartridge? Does the issue persist?

Here's the thing, yes, you can refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems.HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges.

QualityLogic, one of the world's foremost quality assurance organizations, tested the performance of HP inkjet print cartridges vs. remanufactured (refilled) brands. The results: original HP inkjet print cartridges far surpassed ink refills in both print quality and reliability. Nearly one out of every six refilled ink cartridges tested was dead on arrival or failed prematurely
70% of refilled cartridges had some form of reliability problem.

Count on HP original ink cartridges for consistent, worry-free printing. You may think you're saving money on remanufactured or refilled ink cartridges, but in the long run, the cost of wasted time, ink, and paper can more than make up the difference.

Please reach out to the HP Support for further assistance.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It's all well and good that HP will not guarantee the functionality of those ink cartridges.  I am not asking for that.  

The printer should recognise the cartridge and accept it.  This has only occurred after the update was installed.  I need to know what I can do so as the printer will accept the cartridge or any other aftermarket cartridge.

Hoping for your assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.