Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 9010
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I've seen similar issues to mine, but none that describe my specific problem or offer a solution.  Any advice/help would be tremendously appreciated.

My printer seemingly prints fine.  However, once the printer goes idle, the next time I try to print anything I get the error message: "Printer Not Found".  

If I print 2 pages at 10:15 AM; at 10:40 AM, when I try to print again, I get "printer not found".  Walking over to the printer, it shows that it is still connected to wifi, powered on, etc.  It's just idle.   

My Macbook shows that the printer is "idle" and the default printer.  It is on the same (only) network that the printer is.  I also have no other registered printers.  

I can fix the problem immediately by turning off my printer and turning it back on.  Then it prints all the jobs in the queue. 

I don't have my printer in the same room I do my work, so *every single time* I need to print I've got to get up, walk through the house, and manually turn the printer off/on again, then it prints.

I'd like it to automatically wake from idle whenever I need to print something.  That seems simple and reasonable.  

None of the troubleshooting helped.  Perhaps I'm searching the wrong key words, but most of the advice is to turn the printer off and on again.  That's exactly my problem though, I don't want to have to do that ten times a day.  

Any suggestions?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Kellie1575, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. 

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.