Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printer - N911g
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've seen posted here that after installing a brand new cartridge into my trusty 8600 that an incompatible cartridge error can get generated and the only solution is to have HP tech support do a regionalization reset.  I do have to point out that I bought the printer locally, have never had it out of the country or even the state and have always bought genuine HP 950/951 cartridges.   However, all new cartridges sold by local retailers have Z10 printed on them and my printer is locked to the Z20 which is what it likely came with when I bought it or was available locally as replacements. For some reason HP decided that only Z10 would work in the US and CAN.  Thanks for shutting me down for days while I try to figure this out!

In any event, HOW DO I CONTACT HP SUPPORT to get a case number?  Since the printer is out of warranty all the contact support options are circular and no email or phone number is provided.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Alto53 

Please use the following guide

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/HP-Printer-purchased-in-a-different-country-ne...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Alto53 

Please use the following guide

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/HP-Printer-purchased-in-a-different-country-ne...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Banhien,

Thanks for the info.  However, the supplied link does not say how to contact HP support via phone.

After spending many hours doing a circular search on their website, I finally found an 800 number buried somewhere - forgive me but I don't remember where.

For everyone else reading this, you need to call 800 474 6836 (in the USA) and keep answering or ignoring any requests to direct you to any kind of automated response system.  It will likely take you 4-5 levels and minutes to finally get into the holding queue where you may need to wait longer.  Speak to a live technician and ask them to do a regionalization reset on your printer.  The printer will need to be online or physically connected to your PC as they will remote into your PC to enter the one time reset codes based on the country you are currently in.  Keep in mind that my printer never left the USA but somehow the regionalization was changed at some point even though I have always used genuine HP cartridges.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Same issue and just spoke w/ HP customer support at the 1800 number you provided. received an agent in the Philippines who told me because I bought my genuine HP cartridges from a 3rd party reseller (Costco), that HP cannot reset my printer, and cannot refund my money for the cartridges or the printer, and that I might consider solving the problem by buying a new printer.

I asked him for a "regionalization reset" on the printer as stated in this thread. he said he couldn't or wouldn't do it. 

"support" agent's  name was Miko Cruz.

The jist of the phone call was that even though I followed all product instructions, even down to buying HP cartridges, it's somehow my fault and my checkbook that should pay for HP's inability to support or stand behind its own product. Any advice?

color cartridges say "Product of Ireland" Black cartridge says "Product of China" I live in the US and bought them at a US Costco - Mac OS 10.13.2

HP Recommended

@ej2020, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Several questions:

1. Are these the first cartridges you purchased?

2. Do they have a z10 or no mark on the cartridge label?  The z10 is on the side label of each cartridge, bottom row.  Only z10 or no mark will work in the US.  This is what you want your printer regionalized for.

3. Have you tried putting in cartridges with either the z10 label or no letter mark at all?  If they work, then you are all set, if not then you have a legitimate complaint.

4. If the cartridges have some other mark than z10, then I recommend you take them back to COSTCO for a full refund.  Where they are made is likely not as important as the regional mark that they are programmed fYou can also ask them to buy you a new printer or contact HP as to how they obtained cartridges restricted to other countries.  

5. Call HP again and keep calling until you get someone who will address your problem.  You should also complain loudly to HP that you bought the cartridges in full faith.  If the purpose (and it is stated as such on the HP website) is to protect their distributors from grey market imports, then it is up to them to make it right and NOT their customers!  If COSTCO is not authorized, that is not your problem but theirs to address.  Before you call go to https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c02558798

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.