Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet j3680 all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot print because the printer is in fax mode. Can someone please tell me how to change it back to printer mode?

When I try to print from an app like Word, the printing window shows that the device is seen and says "Fax Ready". I scroll down the list and it says "HP Officejet Offline". Up until a few days ago the printing was functioning fine. And I never use the fax.

I already installed and ran the HP Print & Scan Doctor app, and all it does is say the printer is visable to the computer, and wrongly states the product is not connected.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Enzo

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Enzo12341

Welcome to HP forums, I see that the printer is stuck in fax mode.

Follow the below steps to fix this issue:

Click Start, Devices and Printers.  There will likely be several printers, including the HP Officejet J3680  (or perhaps HP Officejet J3600 series) Fax. Right click on the HP Officejet J3680 and select "Set as Default".

Let me know if that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy - Really appreciate you responding and attempting to help me. I already had the printer "Set as Default". And tried many of the standard procedures for printer functionallity. 

I attempted severa other fixes mentioned in this forum. Then I tried another HP agent suggestion, and uninstalled all the HP software on my computer, and then reinstalled with this...

OJ_AIO_J3600_Full_Win_WW_140_408-4.exe

The problem only got worse and now my printer is not "seen" by my computer at all. I'm beginning to think that this model  Officejet printer cannot function with the present version of Windows 10 but HP won't admit to that fact. I'm going to call Windows tech next and probably waste several more hours and then conclude that assumption is correct.

Thanks again for trying, Sandy.

Enzo

HP Recommended

@Enzo12341

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort in trying multiple steps to fix this issue.

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I read your  private message to use phone support but I tried that already. They wanted to charge me at least $19.95 for support and I won't pay that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.